Solar Cover Reels? Anyone make your own? HOW?

After pricing these out I decided to experiment with my own build. My material of choice was treated lumber since it will be on my deck. It works great, simple to build, and no bearings or special materials needed. I used 1 1/4" black pipe coupled together for a span of 18'. 1 1/2" pipe may be a better option for spans greater that 20'.

Materials:

One 2x8x7 treated plank
One 4x6x7 treated post
Four 90 degree angle brackets
Two ten foot sections of 1 1/4" black pipe
One 1 1/4" coupler
Two 1 1/4" 90 degree elbows
Box of 1 1/2" galvanized screws
Two 8" angle brackets
One 1 1/4" threaded end cap

I only needed 18 feet of black pipe to cross the span of my pool, and I had the left over 2 feet cut down into one 4" union and one 6" piece for handle (only threaded on one side). The entire cost was about $70 from my local Home Depot.

Step 1. Cut 2x8 plank down into two 30" pieces.

Step 2. Cut 4x6 post sections down into two 15" pieces.

Step 3. Bore 1 1/2" holes through one end of the 4x6 posts, centered 3" from end.

Step 4. Center 4x6 posts 12" from the end of one of the 30" planks.

Step 5. Attach angle brackets to posts and secure post to plank (I predrilled these to prevent splitting on the ends).

Step 6. Add end brackets (I used framing brackets for these, they hand down about an inch below the plank and hook on the edge of my deck).

Step 7. Bring pedestals to pool area and assemble the black pipe between the bored holes.

Step 8. Assemble 1 1/4" elbows, 4" coupler, and 6" threaded pipe into a handle and attach to one end of the black pipe. Put 1 1/4" end cap on other side.

Step 9. Attaching cover to black pipe. I used a single bead of silicone adhesive and wrapped the cover around the pipe. Then tie wrapped every foot along the pipe.

140x4qb.jpg

2rc3hwg.jpg

2e31isy.jpg

29zx2r8.jpg
I just made a reel just like yours with black pipe-2/10' pipe with 1 coupling. It has a slight sag to it which causes it to be difficult pulling it back onto my pool. Do you have any suggestions as to how to make the pipe more rigid, where the coupling connects the 2 pipes? It like rolling an egg instead of an orange!!! Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN3167.jpg
    DSCN3167.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCN3182.jpg
    DSCN3182.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:

I made my own this weekend.
Quick part list:
2x 10ft 1-1/2" pvc.
2x 10ft 1-1/4" emt conduit (stiffens the pvc)
Ix 1ft 1 black pipe. (slides inside the conduit to stiffen it, acting as a coupler)
4x2" t's
8x2" 90's
Couple 1-1/2"90's
1-1/2" to 1" reducer
1-1/4" pipe to slide over the 1" so that handle rotates as you turn it.
1" cap to hold the 1-1/4" pipe in place.

Forgot I also used tarp clips and rope to attach the cover to the reel. Used it 3 times and it works pretty good. Need to cut the conduit and cap the end yet.

I just made a reel just like yours with black pipe-2/10' pipe with 1 coupling. It has a slight sag to it which causes it to be difficult pulling it back onto my pool. Do you have any suggestions as to how to make the pipe more rigid, where the coupling connects the 2 pipes? It like rolling an egg instead of an orange!!! Thanks!

See if you can find a pipe to slide inside your current one. Wrap it in tape so it fits really tight and hammer it in both ways.

Wow! That's a long pipe! I could see where PVC would bow/bend. How do the CRANKs work? By the way - nice pool! I like that it's off and away from the pool - I don't really have the space unless I went the long way and that would be a lot of pipe, too.

Well, as stated earlier - I went out and only had to fish one coupler out of the bottom of the pool!

I manged to get all of the shorter cut side of cover wrapped on one 4' length and have it resting on the side of the pool and in the indent of the ladder. Doesn't look to good but it's off the grass and off the top of the pool. It's light enough to tip the whole thing off and put into the shade standing up. I don't think the ladder solution will be long term either.

Now, I haven't ATTACHED the cover to the PIPE yet because I'm not done designing this thing and I'm not sure what materials to use. I think I read someone (you?) used webbing - like for lawn chairs? I do have a grommet kit that I bought a while back for this project but what string, rope, stuff to use?

Now, the longer half of the cover (yes, the 5' wide side) is too wide to have it neatly roll up in that section between the pool edge and the ladder. I did roll it up on a section of 4'. 2x2. 2'. 2x2, 4' and wound up putting that at the OTHER end of the pool. I was thinking one section would go north and one section will go south. This is going across the WHOLE width of the pool but only 1/2 of the cover (well actually more like 2/3 of the cover) Even with just this section, however, I have a significant amount of bowing. I think it's the 2' section that is making the weak spot even weaker. I was able to lift the whole bit off the pool and place it in the shade. It's very TALL and I'm sure the neighbor's were wonder - what's going on over there as I looked like that game where the lift and toss telephone poles. Now, one benefit of taking this off the pool is that when I tipped the roll off the edge- all the water pours off the cover - must remember that NEXT time and jump out of the way! HA!

So, I'm not done with this. I think I'm going to get a 6' length of SCH 40 2" pipe and see what happens. I think I'll buy the Ts for the ends but mostly so the cover doesn't wind off the ends. This will only make two trips to the hardware store for this project. Not too bad - yet!

Bummer, I had to put it all on hold as I noticed my WANDA WHALE had lost her mind and was only going in STRAIGHT lines - THAT's why the bottom has been looking trashed. She's been a hard worker for us for about three years without any troubles. I thought I had to dismantle her and repair but I just moved and groved things around and I think something was just jammed up because she's making turns and working in circles again. She's moving a little slower but is moving AND she's getting herself out of the corners, too. I wonder if I'm suppose to use lube on any of her parts. Hopefully, I won't have to repair or replace her too soon because all my budget is going into this pool cover project.

Okay - well that's it for this night - tomorrow's another adventure (and trip to the hardware store)!

dpool
I know I am way too late for the party, but to stiffen up the pvc, buy as many lengths to gap your pool as you need and then buy another length or two with the extra length(s) slit it up the length of it with a table saw or jig saw or however you can, then you can compress it(shrink it’s diameter) and slide inside the other main pieces so that it slides through the joints where the couplers are. I’m assuming it mostly sags at the couplings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take it from me, pvc will not work. Matt4x4 built a wonderful reel system that many of us copied some years back. Check out his posts or take a look at any pix you may find in mine regarding solar reels. We both have instructions on how to diy. It is built onto posts off the end of the pool. Nothing to take off or move when you reel up. One person can reel up or pull out the cover onto the pool from inside the pool or outside standing along side.

Also ixne~ on the steel pipe as the reel part - too heavy and it sags. We found that the aluminum conduit type worked best - surprisingly as light as it is, it does support the cover very well. It did not sag in the center like the heavier metals or pvc. This is affixed to washers with bearings welded in - a crank handle on one side. Mount the whole thing about 3' off the back or side of the pool, about 2' higher than the rail. The straps are riveted onto the reel and affixed to the cover with rivets as well. You can also buy commercial reel strap kits. We just used regular nylon webbing which has held up nicely for some years. We do not take our cover in, we just cover it for the winter but if you have a commercial strap kit I think they come with buckles or something to remove the cover.
Can you please post the directions on how matt4x4 made the pool cover roller ? I am unable to find it. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.