Solar Cover Reels? Anyone make your own? HOW?

gotja said:
Materials:

Two ten foot sections of 1 1/4" black pipe

I only needed 18 feet of black pipe to cross the span of my pool, and I had the left over 2 feet cut down into one 4" union and one 6" piece for handle (only threaded on one side). The entire cost was about $70 from my local Home Depot.

Hey Gotja - this may be a dumb question, but the 'Black pipe' you mention, is that just plain 'iron pipe' or what? Your design is the only one we have seen that we might could adapt for our inground pool and I just need to know what the pipe is you use. Someone else in this thread had used aluminum conduit, so just trying to figure out what our choices are. Thanks so much for any help.

Reactions: shortdogs
Can anyone on here tell me what type of pipe Gotja used - he referenced 'Black Pipe' - is that iron? ? ? Someone else mentioned using aluminum conduit - does anyone have any input if the aluminum would work in Gotja's design? ? ? Thanks all for your help.

i am having trouble finding anyone that can make me a 4 in 25 feet long aluminum pipe either from conduit or irrigation tubing. Can anyone tell me that has used this plan if they coupled shorter pieces together and if it works or sags a lot in the middle.

Reactions: shortdogs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes it is plain old black iron pipe, no sag and I kept my cover reeled up all winter long......and it rolled out fine.

I used a bead of 100% silicone caulk then punched a couple small holes every foot to attach cover to pipe with nylon tie wraps.

The tie wraps hold the cover on the pipe, the silicone is adhesion so the tube grips the cover edge.

mlnpatch said:
i am having trouble finding anyone that can make me a 4 in 25 feet long aluminum pipe either from conduit or irrigation tubing. Can anyone tell me that has used this plan if they coupled shorter pieces together and if it works or sags a lot in the middle.

Try 3 pieces of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" 8' sections of iron blackpipe. I have 2 10' sections of 1 1/4 with very little sag......tip....go to local DIY store and couple them together in the store and see.

Anyone who has made this pool reel at the end of their above ground pool, how far apart do you put the straps from each other. I am having trouble getting straps in the correct places to roll successfully. I have a 24ft round pool with a similar build, 2 feet from the back and 2 feet above the pool rail. How close to the end of the reel did you go with straps. If i get out to the end i am going to need 8 feet of strap.

I would just go as far as you are comfortable strapping and have it still roll without folding over on itself. We experimented a bunch before finding our comfort level.

I built mine pretty much the same way. I used velcro though. I just put one side of velcro on the pipe and the other side across the bottom of the cover. I grab the cover and pull it a couple of feet off the pool and press the velcro together, then roll it up.
I already had the velcro so i figured i'd give it a shot. 2 months and its still holding great.

After I built mine I noticed a company advertising aluminum flag poles in the paper. If I hadn't already built mine I think I would check into that.

Ron69,

Thanks for the reply. Would you go with the aluminum for weight? What I quick saw online looked to be more expensive for flagpoles and would involve welding.

How big is your pool cover? I am concerned about being able to roll it with too much weight. Does it get tough to roll towards the end? Mine is for a 18x33 oval. I'm not sure what thickness the liner is.

Thanks,

gotja said:
29zx2r8.jpg

wont that pipe rust?
I may go this route, but I'll have to load it up with Rustoleum first.

I cannot find all my pictures just now but I do have one handy that shows how its ground mounted and the crank along with a link to the one posted by Matt4x4 in a post Matt and I both responded to regarding our build. (edit - Matt's link is not working so all I have right now is this picture)

BTW: There is some water in the cover when it is rolled up but it drains out nicely. To hurry that up, I give it a 1/4 turn every so often and the rest comes out. I have never had ice inside the cover over the winter - the small amount of moister in there when it rolls up is not enough to add weight at all - most of the water just drops out right away anyway. We put a poly wrap around it and bungie cord for the winter - for just sitting there on windy days, I do put a bungie cord on it without any damages.

It only takes one person to roll this up and pull it out. My kids were able to do it alone. Our reel is 22' wide - pool is 18' wide x 33 long so it is a lot of cover to reel up. Does a great job.

Can someone tell me what size aluminum pipe should be used? My husband is trying to make our own above ground solar reel cover for our 15x30x54" oval pool. Looking for some type of link/pics for a plan for this. Thanks!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.