Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New build plumbing locations advice needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb New build plumbing locations advice needed

Hi all,

I will soon be installing a new fiberglass pool and would like some advice regarding the skimmer/drain/return placement. The pool is approx 30x14 feet and 4-6 feet deep, 10k gallons.

The following image shows where I'm thinking of putting the drains, skimmer, and returns. The arrow in the image is the typical wind direction. I have read that it's a good idea to have the skimmer in the location that is typically downwind, but that would put it on the entry steps, which doesn't seem like a great idea. The pad will be about 24 feet away.

http://imgur.com/a/Kzliq

Do these locations seem okay? Is two returns sufficient? I'm planning four lines back to the pad (one for each return, skimmer, and one for the main drains). I'll be installing solar heating in case that's relevant.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build plumbing locations advice needed

Ummmmmmmmm I thought they came with the places already done. IF I am remembering correct they have the area where the skimmers and returns are put built up for them.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your message. I believe most shells typically have the skimmer location precut, but the shell I'm using comes blank and you cut the locations onsite to suit. Much like shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLqv1UNobdE

4. Back To Top    #4

THANKS! Learn something new every day!

Okay so you want to know your yard and your prevailing winds. You are correct you do not want the skimmer on the steps or such. You seem to have read quite a bit. Do what works best with your area and keeping everyone safe. Do not want to read about someone being sucked into a skimmer

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit