Pool Chemistry

Feb 24, 2017
Cape Coral, Fl
I fixed the cloudy pool after the builder dumped muratic acid in it to change color variations in plaster. Than left us with a murky pool. The test kit came. Trying to figure it all out.

this is what I have now. I am not 100% confident in my testing skills. Would comparing them to a pool stores results be a bad idea?

FC 8
CC 0 ?
PH 7.2
TA 100
CH 280
CYA 60

I want to recheck in AM but I think I want to raise PH and maybe replace some water. I would like to run chlorine lower since my daughter was composing about it stinging her eyes.

What receomendatiins do you have?

As mentioned fc almost never causes eyes burning or even smell. It's usually cc, which you have none, or ph which will go up on its own in all likelihood, or it's tds.
Tds is dissolved solids. Inside your eye is something like 7-8k ppm solids. Most non salt pools are <1k. This creates a large osmosis effect that can contribute big time to eye irritation. That's why I keep salt at about 3k ppm even though I do not have a swcg. Borates also adds a small amount as does a moderate ch. I've never had anyone complain about eyes from my pool

Would comparing them to a pool stores results be a bad idea?
Yes. If pool store testing was reliable it wouldn't have been so important for you to get your own kit. Trust your numbers, this may be your first time using it but we still trust those results far more than any from a pool store.

And for the question mark next to CC, if you added the 5 drops of R-0003 and the solution stayed clear then your CC is zero. That is an immediate reaction, it will turn back to pink if left sitting for a couple minutes. That is normal and should be ignored.

Finally, I agree with those above, an FC of 8 paired with a CYA of 60 is a much lower active chlorine level than any public pool you will find. The eye irritation is almost certainly being caused by the low pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.