Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Chemistry

I fixed the cloudy pool after the builder dumped muratic acid in it to change color variations in plaster. Than left us with a murky pool. The test kit came. Trying to figure it all out.

this is what I have now. I am not 100% confident in my testing skills. Would comparing them to a pool stores results be a bad idea?

FC 8
    CC 0 ?
    PH 7.2
    TA 100
    CH 280
    CYA 60

I want to recheck in AM but I think I want to raise PH and maybe replace some water. I would like to run chlorine lower since my daughter was composing about it stinging her eyes.

What receomendatiins do you have?
    12,000 gallon...inground pool... Florida Pebble Tech..first filled 11/9/16... Hayward variable speed filter... Gulf Stream Heater...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Chemistry

It is likely the low pH that is stinging her eyes not FC at 8. With CYA at 60, FC at 8 is fine. It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart.

Raise your pH to 7.6, that should help with the eye sting.

The numbers look good.
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If you have a water feature, you can aerate your water to raise the pH.
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

4. Back To Top    #4

As mentioned fc almost never causes eyes burning or even smell. It's usually cc, which you have none, or ph which will go up on its own in all likelihood, or it's tds.
    Tds is dissolved solids. Inside your eye is something like 7-8k ppm solids. Most non salt pools are <1k. This creates a large osmosis effect that can contribute big time to eye irritation. That's why I keep salt at about 3k ppm even though I do not have a swcg. Borates also adds a small amount as does a moderate ch. I've never had anyone complain about eyes from my pool

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Jkbpool View Post
    Would comparing them to a pool stores results be a bad idea?
    Yes. If pool store testing was reliable it wouldn't have been so important for you to get your own kit. Trust your numbers, this may be your first time using it but we still trust those results far more than any from a pool store.

And for the question mark next to CC, if you added the 5 drops of R-0003 and the solution stayed clear then your CC is zero. That is an immediate reaction, it will turn back to pink if left sitting for a couple minutes. That is normal and should be ignored.

Finally, I agree with those above, an FC of 8 paired with a CYA of 60 is a much lower active chlorine level than any public pool you will find. The eye irritation is almost certainly being caused by the low pH.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath