Heat Pump questions

Feb 28, 2017
Danbury,CT
We just put in our first pool. We live in CT. I would like to add a heat pump. Not for swimming in September or October. I understand that the outside air temp has to be above 50. We just want to be comfortable during the regular swimming season and not avoid going in because the water is too chilly. I would assume 82 would be a comfortable and refreshing temp.
The pool is only 52" deep, 18x32 with R-10 insulated walls semi in ground. Most of the pool is in ground.

So trying to decide which brand to purchase. Pretty sure that I can get away with 50,000 BTU but probably would get an 85,000 to 110,000 BTU. My pool builder sells a brand that isn't sold to consumers and price is $4,200 for 100,000 BTU. Their claim is that this brand Aqua Heat LS is the best that they have ever sold and is made especially for the northeast. What do you think ? Would a Raypak or Hayward for a whole lot less do the same job ? I can install a heat pump myself so would be saving at least $1,500 buying Raypak or Hayward online.
please advise, thanks

You can get a Pentair Ultratemp 70K BTU for less than half of that AquaHeat brand. I just checked their web site. Couldn't find the LS, but they have the SF & TF listed. Everything is listed in metric. That tells me it's not manufactured in the states. Also, read the "testimonials", most of the reviews are from overseas somewhere. The second issue is the cost, and the larger ones in the 100,000K BTU range all require 3 phase power. Check out Raypak, Pentair or even the Aquacomfort (manufactured in CT). All will be cheaper and use single phase connections. If you're just looking to "bump up" the temp in the summer, throw a solar cover on there and anyone of those units will be fine.

I would try a solar cover first, it can add 5 to 8 degrees to the water temp by preventing evaporative heat loss overnight. A thin 8 mil, cheap one is all you need. If you have a god south facing roof solar panels and a solar controller will help a lot also. Solar panels give us a lot of in season swim days where the water was otherwise too cold.

If a heat pump is the best answer then I think you will do fine for what you are looking to do with a small 50k btu heat pump like the Hayward HP50HA. Raypak also makes one about that size. Both are around 1500 bucks. Good places to buy online are Inyo Pools or Sunplay. My heat pump adds about a degree every 3 to 4 hours in a 20k gal pool.

LI Poolguy just an FYI, I think that you might have searched another brand here is the link to the aqua heat LS website
Heat Pump Specifications
I cant find any other info on them but I think way too expensive
If you guys think that Raypak or Hayward will be ok that is what I originally looking at.Inyo pools have pretty good prices. I am also going to get a solar cover. The pool will be in the sun a good 12 hours a day. I am not really sure that I need a heat pump but for $1500 and not $4200 I think would be the way to go.
I just wanted to check here that these brands, Raypak, Pentair and Hayward can do just as good as the heater that my pool builder said that I should have in this part of the country. Thank you

LI Poolguy just an FYI, I think that you might have searched another brand here is the link to the aqua heat LS website
Heat Pump Specifications
I cant find any other info on them but I think way too expensive
If you guys think that Raypak or Hayward will be ok that is what I originally looking at.Inyo pools have pretty good prices. I am also going to get a solar cover. The pool will be in the sun a good 12 hours a day. I am not really sure that I need a heat pump but for $1500 and not $4200 I think would be the way to go.
I just wanted to check here that these brands, Raypak, Pentair and Hayward can do just as good as the heater that my pool builder said that I should have in this part of the country. Thank you

LOL, those are the same specs as the Aquacomfort I mentioned. I think the LS is just a rebranded model. The 75 which is the Aquacomfort 750 is going for about $2500 down here on Long Island. I need to replace mine and I was looking at the 750 for it's small footprint and 20A supply. I currently have a 30A supply, so no extra electrical work would have been needed. However, for your options the Raypak, Hayward or even the Pentair would be fine.

Another question. I am looking at the Raypak R5350TI-E 95,000 btu heatpump which has 2" pvc connections also looking at the Raypak R4350ti 85,000 btu which has 1 1/2" pvc connections. The piping that comes off of my pump and going to pool are
1 1/2" . Do I need to use the heat pump with 1 1/2" connections or can I get the one with 2" connections and just use reducing fittings ? thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just my opinion. I live in Massachusetts. I have a heat pump. Aquacomfort 100,000 BTU. May as well be a boat anchor. In practice, they only work down to about 65 degrees. I bought it when I put the pool in 9 years ago. I used it 2 seasons and said enough of this and got gas. I figured id use the gas to heat the pool on the ends of the season and use the HP for the rest. Welp, 7 years later, it sits like a hunk of metal, low pressure error, low on refrigerant for 3 seasons. Don't want to spend the money to get it fixed. IMO, HP's are a waste of money in the New England climate. Keep your money in your pocket and get a gas heater.

I have a heat pump too (RayPak 110K BTU) in FL. Needless to say it didn't get much use (I really should have gotten a pool chiller). But when I did use it (Nov, Dec, Jan) it worked great. But you have to leave it running 24/7. If you shut off the pool at night the water will be cold in the morning - and then it takes all day to warm it up again (20K gallons).

So if you get one, get the most efficient one you can (i.e. cheapest to run).
Good luck.

Hello zibnata .I to am into my second season with an in ground pool and have put a down payment on an aqua heat ls 150 heat cool pump. There is not much info online i know. There is a company similar to the one you are talking about. The company you want to go to is my heated pool.com. The company is in new haven Connecticut. The product is not made over seas. made in the usa and hand made not assembly line produced. Believe me I have mulled countless hours over this topic of what I should do. I am getting the heater! This forum is great and can get lots of info and education from other pool owners. I called the company and talked to an installer technician for the company. I was pleased and feel confident that it will be money well spent. I know the anxiety you feel when the price is that steep. You live in ct I live in nj i know the weather gets colder up there . I have a good friend who lives in branford and my family visits him every june and october so i know the temps. up there esp. since he is so close to the sound. Good luck keep us posted

For what it's worth I'm late to the topic I have an aquacomfort 750 and it's works great to keep the pool comfortable. That being said I keep the pool covered with a solar cover when not being used to keep the electric bill low as low as possible. Pool stays close to 90 without much effort most of the season that way.

For what it's worth I'm late to the topic I have an aquacomfort 750 and it's works great to keep the pool comfortable. That being said I keep the pool covered with a solar cover when not being used to keep the electric bill low as low as possible. Pool stays close to 90 without much effort most of the season that way.

How long have you had it?? Looking to purchase the same model.

Installed may of last year an used the whole season. It's very quiet and runs great. It's not a miracle worker tho. It won't heat your pool in a day like a gas heater will. But it will maintain your pool all season long economically when used with a solar cover. I also put the it on a timer so that it only ran during the hottest part of the day (9am-7pm) to maximize efficiency. I'm very happy with the unit and would recommend it to anyone.

I'm in Massachusetts and also going with a heat pump on our new install going in this Spring. My mother recently got a heat pump for her pool two seasons ago and as long as you know its limitations and get it for the right reasons, a heat pump can be the more economical way to keep your pool heated in the northeast. If the reason you want it is to give your pool that extra boost to get heated up and maintain that heat throughout the season, a heat pump is the right choice. Just know that you're not going to open the pool in April and heat it up and keep it at 85 degrees, without a huge electric bill. They work great from May through September/October time frame. As was mentioned before, they aren't going to work well in cold temps, so you'll want to have it running during the day when outside temps are at their warmest, don't run overnight. If it's below 65 during the day, I'm not going swimming anyway, so no reason to have it running at those temps.

If you want a heater to turn on to warm your pool up for the weekend, then turn it off during the week, or turn it on while you're on your way home from work to heat up for an evening swim, a heat pump isn't right for you, go with gas. The heat pump is more like a set it and forget it type of heater, get your pool to the temp you want, and set it to stay there for the season. That's what we want it for and has worked out great that way for my mother's pool for the last two years. The electric bill will go up, but it's not outrageous and definitely worth it in my opinion to have your pool always ready for a swim with comfortable water temp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.