Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hydraulic effect of Spa Common Check Valve Modification

1. Back To Top    #1

Hydraulic effect of Spa Common Check Valve Modification

I recently had my pool renovated which included replacing all valves. The technician decided to remove the spring and valve from the old spa common Ortega check valve (horizontal type that looks like a "T") and placed a new Jandy check valve in front of the old check valve. He explained that by removing the spring and valve, the old check valve would act as a normal 90 degree turn. He didn't want to replumb this part of the circuit because the spa common check valve was so close to the ground (only a few inches from where the pipe goes underground).

Does the removal of the spring and valve from the check valve impact water flow significantly? It seems that without the spring and valve, the water would enter the dead-end part of the "T" of the old check valve and create water turbulence that would impact the flow significantly. Or perhaps the hydrodynamics work such that when the dead-end part of the T is filled, water will flow down uninterrupted.

thanks.
    Austin, TX 14,985 gal - Kidney + spa, IG, Quartz Plaster, Pentair Nautilus FNS 48 DNS 1995, Taylor k-2006 w/speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hydraulic effect of Spa Common Check Valve Modification

I may or may not be much help. I have learned over the years that the plumbing, including the valves has a marginal impact on flow and is not so much to worry about.

Certainly the filter is the big impact and a heater, if installed, and solar panels are all big contributors of resistance. I would not be concerned about a striped out check valve being much of an issue at all.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hydraulic effect of Spa Common Check Valve Modification

The tee probably won't affect flow any more than a 90 elbow. However will create a dead leg for water to stagnate in