Valve Automation Question

Feb 28, 2017
Elk Grove
Im looking at automating two valves. One Jandy 3-way which diverts water to solar and the second on the return line. Ive found most pool places want to see a very expensive control panel to automate the valves actuators. I read on Amazon from a few reviews that people have simply used an irrigation timer (for sprinklers) like a rainbird to automate the function and save hundreds. Has anyone done this? Doesnt seem to far fetched as the irrigation timer tells the valve on or off, which would open and close the valve.

Thanks!

Actuators commonly used on pool valves have 3 wires going to them. One wire is common, and one of the remaining 2 wires has 24 VAC. When turning in the opposite direction, power is removed from one wire and applied on the other wire.

Therefore, to automate the actuator you will need a 24 VAC power source, and a switch to apply power to one or the other power leads to the actuator.

Thats what I thought too. Figure give a 1min delay for on/off on both actuators. Figured I would go down to Home Depot and buy a irrigation panel and test it out. If it works Ill put it up here with pics, just didnt know if someone else has gone this route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.