Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH very low after winter

1. Back To Top    #1

pH very low after winter

I started checking my chem levels after winter just this weekend and my pH with a pH meter was all the way down to 3.5! Does this sound likely. I have only used trichloro tablets over the winter and I know they reduce pH some but this is quite a drop.
    20x40 Vinyl Lined Inground
    Central GA
    Chem: Bleach/Borax/Chlorine Tablets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH very low after winter

I would not jump to conclusions on that meter reading, but do you have a test kit? If so, run some tests now, and see where you are. Run pH and TA first. When was the last time you used and calibrated this pH meter?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

My strips only go down to about 6.5 pH so that won't help. I just bought the meter and calibrated it with buffer solution provided.
    Central GA

4. Back To Top    #4

My suggestion is to get a full test kit and get rid of the strips. I really would not wait on this and wouldnt rely on that low pH reading without some verification from a pH drop test and TA drop test.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I've put about 50-60 lbs of sodium carbonate and baking soda in and have now got the pH up to about 6.2. Got aways to go. Have to make another trip to the grocery store.

Still a mystery how it got that low however.
    Central GA

6. Back To Top    #6

Tabs can definitely cause the ph to get that low. Every pound of trichlor will lower TA by about 2.6 ppm.

Where are your TA and CYA now?

If your TA went red right away, then it was zero, or lower, and the pH was below 4.5.

Assuming a starting TA of 80, it would take about 31 lbs trichlor to get a zero TA. However, you shouldn't have needed that much over the winter.

What was your last know TA and how many pounds of tabs have been used since then?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.