Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Visual Flow Indicator

1. Back To Top    #1

Visual Flow Indicator

Long time lerker, never posted. Thanks in advance for all the help!

First Question: Last summer Installed solar heating on my pool and Im revising some of the plumbing this spring to be more efficient. Also replacing old single speed pump with a VS. On the return from the solar I would like to have a visual flow indicator as I dial in the pump speed. Id like the minimum amount of water (GPM) and pressure through the panels. Last year I had many leaks and blowouts and I believe due to pressure issues. Below is a link to a flow meter but it seems very expensive for my needs. Anyone rig anything up similar?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3LJLMXXW7B35D

Second Question: Currently I have a 3-way valve after the filter and pump which can devert water to the solar on the roof or back to the pool (bypassing the solar). Would it be more effective to run the bypass before the filter and after the pump? Seems like the filter provides some resistance that I could eliminate. I have a pentair clean and clear Plus 420 (4 cartridge filter).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Visual Flow Indicator

Welcome to TFP,

I have one of those, and although I don't "need" it, I love having it. Dont know what else is out there, but this is a nice add on, and made well. I wouldn't bypass the filter if it was my system.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

You want as much water going through the solar as the panels can handle. This gives maximum heating efficiency.

If you bypass from before the filter, you'll be sending dirty water through the panels and back to the pool. Not a good plan.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Patrick_B and JohnT. I agree it would be really nice to see GPM so I can ensure Im below the point of leaking joints but enough to heat the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive seen in the pool places that have demonstration pumps plumbed that they have a clear piece of PVC and what looks like zip ties or string inside which indicate flow. Anyone know where to buy that?
    15k salt water pool. Pentair Clean and Clear 420 filter, Pentair Superflo (342001), smart pool sunheater pool solar heater, Hayward AquaRite SWG T15. Doheny Discover Robotic Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

You should have a check valve on the solar return anyway and the best ones (Jandy) have a clear top where you can see the water much like the Flowvis. Either would work but the Flowvis is more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/JANDY-Degrees...dy+Check+valve
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I did forget to mention is one thing that makes flovis nice is that it csn be installed next to elbows or whatever, and thats something most in-line flow meters cant do. Most have to be so many pipe diameters distance away from fittings on piping runs. Something most pool set ups dont have is too much straight run pipe.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

you can get the floVis for a much better price elsewhere! i got mine for $99
    Sacramento, CA - In Ground Plaster - 18,00 Gallons - Chlorine - 3HP Pentair Intelliflow #11018 - Pentair Clean & Clear Filter #160301 - Dolphin S200 Robot - TF100

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Everyone. I plan on putting this in the return line from the solar to the pool. Does anyone see a problem with placing it on a vertical down pipe? The spring is fairly strong so I can imagine it wont have a problem keeping the flap shut but didnt know if anyone had any thoughts.
    15k salt water pool. Pentair Clean and Clear 420 filter, Pentair Superflo (342001), smart pool sunheater pool solar heater, Hayward AquaRite SWG T15. Doheny Discover Robotic Cleaner