Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLAM progress??

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM progress??

Am I making progress or wasting chlorine? When I started (10 days ago) the pool was "clear" but SWG would not keep up. Testing with Josh confirmed that SWG was functioning properly. Ordered and received FAS-DPD test kit and started SLAM Below are results.
    Sat am
    FC=0
    CC=?
    pH=7.6
    TA=115
    CH=300
    CYA=60
    SALT=3300
    SAT pm
    FC=21.5 CC=.5

Sun am OCLT=3 Brush/Vac
    FC=18.5 CC=.5
    Sun pm
    FC=22 CC=.5

Mon am OCLT=5 xtal clear b4 Brush/vac/brush
    FC=16 CC=.5
    Mon pm
    FC=24 CC=≤.5

Tues am OCLT=2 xtal clear b4 brush/vac
    FC=22 CC=0
    Tues pm
    FC=28.5 CC=≤.5

Wed am OCLT=6 rain
    FC=21.5 CC=0
    Wed pm
    FC=23.0 CC=≤.5

Thurs am OCLT=0 xtal clear b4 Brush/vac/filter
    FC=23.0 CC=≤.5
    Thurs pm
    FC=29.5 CC=≤.5

Fri am OCLT=5.5 xtal clear b4 brush/vac
    FC=24. CC=≤.5
    Fri pm
    FC=26.0 CC= ?

Sat am OCLT=2.0 xtal clear b4 Brush/vac/filter
    FC=24. CC=0
    Sat pm
    FC=26.5 CC=?

Sun am OCLT=3.5 xtal clear b4 brush/vac/filter
    FC=23.
    CC=≤.
    pH=8.0
    TA=120
    CH=300
    CYA=50
    Sun pm
    FC=26.5 CC=?

Mon am OCLT =1.5 xtal clear b4 brush
    FC=25 CC=≤.5
    Mon pm
    FC=28.5 CC=?

Tues am OCLT=5. xtal clear b4 brush
    FC=24.5 CC=≤.5

I was having a problem with dissappearing chlorine b4 the pool was drained to redo light niches. I thought that would be a good thing as all the old nastys would be gone.....I guess not
    Every brush the pool gets cloudy, however it has greatly improved to the point that today I can clearly see the bottom after brushing.
    Pump is running 24/7. SWG is on 100% during the day and off at night.
    Shouldnt the OCLT be getting better every day?
    Why no high CC results?
    Am I on the right track?
    9700 gl IG plaster/pebble, Aqualink automation, 2hp VSFlo Pro, EE-Ti Heat Pump, AutoPilot Nano SWCG, 135sq ft cartridge filter, in floor cleaning, Spillover Spa, Jandy LED watercolors lights, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM progress??

Welcome,

You aren't wasting Chlorine during a SLAM, but we don't recommend using the SWG during a SLAM. You wont always have elevated CC as it all depends on how much organic matter is left in the pool, so you shouldn't presume to have them. Just keep at it until you meet ALL the SLAM criteria. You probably aren't too far away from passing, so just keep up the brushing, and don't slack on any detail of SLAM until you pass all of them outlined.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

SWG = OFF

Thanks!
    9700 gl IG plaster/pebble, Aqualink automation, 2hp VSFlo Pro, EE-Ti Heat Pump, AutoPilot Nano SWCG, 135sq ft cartridge filter, in floor cleaning, Spillover Spa, Jandy LED watercolors lights, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it important/essential to keep the FC level from falling below the SLAM level throughout the day (or overnight)?
    I usually check first thing in am, around noon, then around 5 and adjust to SLAM level as necessary, with a final check (no adjustment) for OCLT test around 8
    So I guess my question is.....should I adjust to above SLAM level to compensate for loss between checks so as to never fall below SLAM level?

5. Back To Top    #5

If it were me doing it that is what I would shoot for. The less it falls below SLAM value, the faster this will go. So yes, it is very important not to let it drift below target any more than you can avoid.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you running your filter 24/7? That is also very important.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok ...so I'm on day 19 of SLAM. Used 27.5 gl of chlorine so far (i started with a clear pool, but it was eating chlorine)
    Still have a clear pool but cant get OCLT to stay below 1. keeping the FC level up to 6 points above SLAM level for my CYA=50. CC always less than .5. Daily brush/vac
    Rather than do a 2 page post with daily test results please let me know what you need to see to reinforce that I am on the right track
    Thanks for your encouragement!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

That sounds like hiding algae. Have you removed all ladders, lights, checked behind weirs, removable steps etc?
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

9. Back To Top    #9

no ladder, led light niches are new and sealed tight, cleaned in and around skimmer a couple days ago, have run spa and spa blower repeatedly

10. Back To Top    #10

Are all of your infloor things working and in pushing water through them? Do you have a main drain? Is it open?

I forgot to open my main drain after I vacuumed. I noticed my water had lost it's sparkle.........hummmmmm why? As soon as I noticed the main drain was close I knew! The water was sitting in the line and getting yucky. I opened it and pushed my FC to SLAM level for a couple of days and the sparkle was back!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Day 20 Yes...all of the in floors are working and the main drain is open. i had thought about that same concept and have investigated to be sure water flow gets through all areas of the piping.
    Last nights OCLT was 1, but it has been 0 before and gone to 5 the next night!
    I did recheck the skimmer, as suggested by Mr Bruce and found a small amount of green meanies in a corner. Its not there anymore

12. Back To Top    #12

Okay so get a toothbrush and run it around the returns and skimmer face IF you hand/arm can handle it burrrrrrrr

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

Day 21
    FC=19 CC=0 OCLT=0
    pH=8
    TA=110
    CH=400 14 days ago this was 300 Did all the chlorine I have been using cause this to raise?
    CYA=25 14 days ago this was 50 No water added No rain Where did it go?? this is a pool store test, however 3 different people ran the test and had the same result.
    Salt 3600

Letting the FC drift down to target of +10 based on CYA=25 level. Should I wait until SLAM is complete to begin to raise the CYA level?

Also got an all stainless bristle "algae brush"....WOW.... does that create a cloudy mess! Not green, just cloudy. its only 6' wide ...my arms are ready to fall off

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Yes definitely wait until you have fully completed the SLAM before adding the CYA.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Are both CYA numbers from pool store? I would trust YOUR testing.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

16. Back To Top    #16

Day 33 of SLAM
    Last 13 days of OCLT= 1.0 or less (a couple of 0's!) i have Never had cc over .5
    Pool is crystal clear in the morning but as soon as I brush or vacuum it gets cloudy again and stays in "suspension" all day.
    i Brush at least once daily with 6" steel "algae" brush (my arms ready to fall off)
    Vacuum every other day and clean the filter after vacuum
    Filter cart was new 6 days ago
    Pump is running 24/7 @ 2750rpm speed
    I did an ammonia test = .25 but have no other symptoms of ammonia so dont have a lot of confidence in the test
    Do I "stay the course" with the SLAM or can I let FC come down and begin to rebalance everything else while the filter does its job?

17. Back To Top    #17

I feel your pain. On day 8 and never had to go this long. No CC present but failing OCLT and seeing trace algae (appearance of dirt) in trace areas - only visible along seams, one particular corner and steps. Sweeping 5X day and keeping FC above 25 (stupid me added CYA to get levels over 20 and accidentally went to 55). Have cleaned possible hiding areas. Need to check that floor drain mentioned.

18. Back To Top    #18

This morning OCLT=1.5!! What the........
    Also CYA down 10 in 2 days????? Was 40 now 30 by my testing (repeatedly to insure consistent results)
    Ammonia test on salt card =0 on freshwater card= less than .25 more than 0
    Off to get more chlorine

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Post a picture of each side of the pool from the opposite side. I wanna play Find The Hiding Place.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

20. Back To Top    #20

I have cleaned the skimmer and all around the skimmer repeatedly.
    i have sprayed 10% chlorine around/under the perimeter coping and brush daily, both pool and spa
    Run the spa circuit and blower
    Dont know where it could be hiding ....but thats what make hide-n-go seek fun!
    IMG_1978[1].jpgIMG_1979[1].jpgIMG_1980[1].jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast