Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Input on advice from Jacks rep?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Input on advice from Jacks rep?

I talked to a Jacks Magic rep the other day about a staining issue one of my customers was having and he told me something I never thought of, and wonder if there is truth to it.

I told him I was having the customer first check to see if the stain was organic by using a trichlor puck and he pretty much shut me down and said that isn't the correct way to test because the acidity of a trichlor puck can actually wear away some metal stains too.

He said the best way to test for organic stains is to put some cal-hypo in a sock instead and put that on the stain for a couple minutes. The cal-hypo, having a high pH, is a more trustworthy indicator according to him. What do you guys think?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Input on advice from Jacks rep?

I always suggest checking with vitamin c first. That way you eliminate the common metals first. Then the puck will be more diagnostic.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Good point.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup. Trichlor is acidic and will lighten some metal stains. If you only have trichlor, then you should do two tests - one trichlor and then one vitamin c. If both lighten the stain then it's likely a metal. If trichlor lightens the stain and vit c does not, then it's likely organic. If neither lightens the stain then it's probably a darkened calcium scale from dirt incorporated into calcium scale.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates