Gloves for handling acid

Just don't handle it much.
Take the closed bottle to the pool. Open it pool side, slowly poor some in over a return jet. And then close it.

If you splash any on you, just stick your hand in the pool ;)

Part of the problem with a chemical mask is that you may leave your eyes exposed to the fumes. A tiny whiff gets your body to react and get away from the fumes. There is a HUGE thread discussion somewhere about the use of some of this safety equipment.

Agreed the seal can be a pain on the bottle. I remove it while kneeling by the pool with my bare hands and then immediately rinse my hand in the pool. I do recommend wear some kind of glasses to protect your eyes from an errant splash. If you do somehow spill on yourself, just jump in the pool :D

Part of the problem with a chemical mask is that you may leave your eyes exposed to the fumes. A tiny whiff gets your body to react and get away from the fumes. There is a HUGE thread discussion somewhere about the use of some of this safety equipment.
Yes, it involved the use of gloves, a mask, face shield, apron and somehow still ended with a visit to the doctor. Meanwhile some of us on here who use virtually zero protection have never had any serious issues. I'm the last person to say "well I do it this way and never had a problem" but your nose picks up on much lower concentrations than your eyes would so keeping your nose exposed gives you an early warning. The only time I have ever had any serious problems was opening what I thought was some dichlor when I was helping to open my father's pool but the company that closed it threw the old trichlor tablets in and they had outgassed. Did not help my opinion of pool companies...

I do keep a box of disposable nitrile gloves on hand and use them when handling trichlor tablets. Not so much for safety but because I don't want my hands to smell like chlorine all day. Boxes of those are dirt cheap at big box stores and are useful for more than just handling acid so I would pick up a box of those.

Not recommended for your home but I'm also one of those zero protection people with no issues. If I smelled something strong, I'd put it down and walk/run away. If a splash gets on me?......quick rinse.

I dont wear gloves because I think if I got some acid on the glove it may soak through and then the acid would be held against my skin. Then I would get acid on my other hand as I try to pull the glove off. Much easier to just rinse a splash of acid off in the pool although I am always careful to try not to cause a splash

I do wear safety goggles though. Ones that are open at the side so that the fumes will not be held in behind the glasses

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my 2 cents are that gloves and goggles are going to do you more harm than good should you spill the stuff. I get it on my hands often, more so than bleach, and it doesn't even phase me. As long as I rinse off the body part in water within 30 seconds or so it doesn't even burn. Glasses may not be a bad idea to prevent direct splashing, but goggles are going to trap fumes, which is easily the worst part of handling MA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.