Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gloves for handling acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Gloves for handling acid

What type of gloves are recommended for handling pool acid?

~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gloves for handling acid

Just don't handle it much.
    Take the closed bottle to the pool. Open it pool side, slowly poor some in over a return jet. And then close it.

If you splash any on you, just stick your hand in the pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I grabbed a pair of chemical gloves at Lowes when I bought the acid and also a chemical mask, man that stuff stinks. The worst part was trying to get that safety seal off after putting the dang gloves on.
    20X40 30,000 gal. Vinyl, AquaPlus Automation w/ T-15 SWG & AquaConnect, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, ProSeries S310T2 Filter, H Series 400FDN Heater, Sense/Dispense with Stenner Pump, ColorLogic X 3, TigerShark RC990, ​Borates, TF-100 test kit, K-1766 & Speed Stir Finally done! Well Almost

4. Back To Top    #4

Part of the problem with a chemical mask is that you may leave your eyes exposed to the fumes. A tiny whiff gets your body to react and get away from the fumes. There is a HUGE thread discussion somewhere about the use of some of this safety equipment.

Agreed the seal can be a pain on the bottle. I remove it while kneeling by the pool with my bare hands and then immediately rinse my hand in the pool. I do recommend wear some kind of glasses to protect your eyes from an errant splash. If you do somehow spill on yourself, just jump in the pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Part of the problem with a chemical mask is that you may leave your eyes exposed to the fumes. A tiny whiff gets your body to react and get away from the fumes. There is a HUGE thread discussion somewhere about the use of some of this safety equipment.
    Yes, it involved the use of gloves, a mask, face shield, apron and somehow still ended with a visit to the doctor. Meanwhile some of us on here who use virtually zero protection have never had any serious issues. I'm the last person to say "well I do it this way and never had a problem" but your nose picks up on much lower concentrations than your eyes would so keeping your nose exposed gives you an early warning. The only time I have ever had any serious problems was opening what I thought was some dichlor when I was helping to open my father's pool but the company that closed it threw the old trichlor tablets in and they had outgassed. Did not help my opinion of pool companies...

I do keep a box of disposable nitrile gloves on hand and use them when handling trichlor tablets. Not so much for safety but because I don't want my hands to smell like chlorine all day. Boxes of those are dirt cheap at big box stores and are useful for more than just handling acid so I would pick up a box of those.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Not recommended for your home but I'm also one of those zero protection people with no issues. If I smelled something strong, I'd put it down and walk/run away. If a splash gets on me?......quick rinse.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

I use safety goggles (you do not want this stuff on an eye, no matter how remote the possibility) and neoprene gloves. The gloves make me feel safe. And if there is an accident, jump in the pool.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

8. Back To Top    #8

I also use neoprene gloves (at least on one hand) so that I am rinsing the glove and not my bare skin in the pool.

A heavyweight plastic knife can be helpful in getting through the seal. I keep it in my test kit.
    31k gal, IG plaster, Hayward pumps and cartridge filter, AquaRite T-15 SWG, Hayward 400,000 BTU NG heater, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I dont wear gloves because I think if I got some acid on the glove it may soak through and then the acid would be held against my skin. Then I would get acid on my other hand as I try to pull the glove off. Much easier to just rinse a splash of acid off in the pool although I am always careful to try not to cause a splash

I do wear safety goggles though. Ones that are open at the side so that the fumes will not be held in behind the glasses
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I've never used gloves or other protection, but I was thinking of wearing some for some upcoming staining repair work, thanks for the input everyone.
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

Can someone link to a recommended pair. I've not worn protection or eyewear but definitely should. The fumes have been my biggest challenge.

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

12. Back To Top    #12

my 2 cents are that gloves and goggles are going to do you more harm than good should you spill the stuff. I get it on my hands often, more so than bleach, and it doesn't even phase me. As long as I rinse off the body part in water within 30 seconds or so it doesn't even burn. Glasses may not be a bad idea to prevent direct splashing, but goggles are going to trap fumes, which is easily the worst part of handling MA.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed