Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Determining Number of Gallons

1. Back To Top    #1

Determining Number of Gallons

Renting a house in which the owners know nothing about the pool, including its gallons. I've been using a rough estimate of 16,000 suggested by another forum user, but I am having trouble getting my chemicals straight. The final readings, after adding chemicals according to PoolMath, are always higher ( i.e. FC should of raised to 5 but was at 6 or 7/ pH should of raised to 7.6 but it's 7.8 or 8)

I have a free form pool with three different depths and a spillover spa. My question is, what is the best way to get an accurate amount of gallons and to determine the length and width of the pool?

Thanks, Kelsey

Plaster, 2 HP WhisperFlo Pump, DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Determining Number of Gallons

The easy way is to adjust your volume based on the discrepancies you've already noticed, maybe going 500 gallons at a time.

If you want to do it the "hard" way, here you go: A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I figured and have been doing. I believe I'm getting closer as the discrepancies are getting smaller and smaller.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaSoccer View Post
    Renting a house in which the owners know nothing about the pool, including its gallons. I've been using a rough estimate of 16,000 suggested by another forum user, but I am having trouble getting my chemicals straight. The final readings, after adding chemicals according to PoolMath, are always higher ( i.e. FC should of raised to 5 but was at 6 or 7/ pH should of raised to 7.6 but it's 7.8 or 8)

I have a free form pool with three different depths and a spillover spa. My question is, what is the best way to get an accurate amount of gallons and to determine the length and width of the pool?

Thanks, Kelsey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Fcu goes to 6 plus instead of 5, I'd drop 1000 gal. 6 is 20 percent over 5 so decrease of 15-20 percent should be safe initially. Then500 next time if needed

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry. 2000 initially would be about 16 prrcent

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know.