Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Polaris AutoClear with Hayward ARQ15

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Polaris AutoClear with Hayward ARQ15

My Polaris SWG cell has died & it looks like it has been discontinued. So, I'm looking at replacing the system with the Hayward ARQ15 based on recommendations I've seen here. Anyone here replaced their AutoClear with the ARQ15? I'm concerned about having enough straight pipe for the flow switch, since on the Polaris, it is integrated into the cell and not a separate piece like the Hayward. I currently have about 28" from elbow to elbow & was hoping to just be able to swap out the cells without having to run additional pipe. Is this enough for the cell & flow switch?

Also, anyone had success separating pipe in an elbow by using a heat gun to soften the blue cement joining them together?

Attached is a photo of my system for reference. Thanks for any suggestions / recommendations!

PoolBrains.jpg
    24,000 gallon 16 x 32 vinyl pool, built Spring 2007. Polaris AutoClear SWG, Hayward ProSeries sand filter, Hayward 1 Hp Super II Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Polaris AutoClear with Hayward ARQ15

You might be better off just cutting out the 90 degree elbow near the bottom of the pad between the swg and filter then installing the Hayward in the vertical run to meet the flow switch requirements. Then you will have 12" of straight pipe upstream of the flow switch and not have to worry about fiddling with heating an elbow, etc.

Also, if you plumb the flow switch on the outlet of the swg, the swg itself counts as the 12" of straight pipe. That all might fit in the lower horizontal run.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacing Polaris AutoClear with Hayward ARQ15

Thanks, I was hoping to fit everything where the existing cell is. A fellow pool owner suggested keeping the cell where it is & putting the flow switch in the vertical pipe coming from the filter. So that's another option.
    24,000 gallon 16 x 32 vinyl pool, built Spring 2007. Polaris AutoClear SWG, Hayward ProSeries sand filter, Hayward 1 Hp Super II Pump