First test with the TF100 and a couple of questions

Jun 6, 2009
Just finished testing for the first time with the TF100. Have never used this kit before until today.

FAS-DPD 1.0
TC 1.0
PH 7.2
Total Alkalinity 300 second try, first test got 380, question coming up.
CYA 38

A couple of weeks ago my pool store told me my alkalinity was too high and had me add PH decreaser to lower my alkalinity. The problem is I didn't follow their instructions completely. After my PH dropped dramatically that day instead of going back to the store a week later with a sample I panicked and raised the PH back slowly that same day to around 7.6.

What should I do today??? I'm thinking I need to start by adding PH decreaser again to lower my Alkalinity, and aerate the pool with my return jet for about a week. Am I right???
Also if while doing this how low should I keep my PH???

Also my Chlorine levels are a little low, can I raise my chlorine levels up tonight while I lower the Alkalinity???

One last question when doing the alkalinity test I notice the liquid starts as green and slowly begins to change to a red color. How do I know when it's red enough??? I notice during my second test that after a while it doesn't get any darker. Is this my stopping point???

Thanks.

1. Yes, get your FC up around 3-4ppm and keep it there.

2. Lower TA thru aeration/acid process desribed in "How To" in Pool School

3. Yes, when the color change is complete, the TA test is done. Before you lower TA too much, I would like to see you redo that test (sorry) Static electricity often affects the drop size of the R-0009 and skews the test. This time wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth with every few drops. That will elimanate any static on the tip and possibly give you a lower result. Let us know.

4. How does your water look?

Sorry screw up with the math 20 drops x 10 = 200 not 300. :mrgreen:
I just redid the test like you mention and got 200.

The water looks good right now. Although when I took off the solar cover this morning to clean it there were a couple of green spots on the bottom. We are getting lot's of rain every day. I vacuumed the whole pool and threw in some algaecide this morning. Still looks good right now.

I would not purchase any more algaecide. Save your money and buy lots of refills!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, Chlorine is the key to keeping your pool troublefree. Did you do the CC's test? I would think your CC's would be greater than .5ppm If you are seeing visible algae, it is time to shock your pool by bringing the FC up to about 16+ and then hold it there by adding more chlorine as often as you can until the algae is gone and your pool is sparkling.

I know it is difficult to convince yourself you need that much chlorine that is but that's what it takes once you let your FC get down as low as yours' has.

PS- 200 TA might be a little high but I would leave it alone for now.

I plan to add more chlorine tonight. I added a little bit of PH decreaser right now mainly too empty a bottle for recycling but it was about 4oz only. I'm aerating the pool right now. Is it better to point the jet return up all the time??? I usually have it facing down.

I know you guy don't recommend algaecides but I bought a couple of bottles before I found this forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.