Options for Light Bulb Replacement (in niche)

MasterTinkerer

Gold Supporter
Nov 28, 2016
Helena, AL
My pool had been leaking - and I believe it was coming from light. I finally drained down to it and went to work this weekend. Sure enough, the seal in the niche was bad.

Now it is time to put it all back together. I recently replaced all of my home lights with LED bulbs, so I'm thinking I should do the same with the pool light before I put it back in. That brings me to my question...

Any recommendations on what bulb to put in? I have a Hayward SP0583SL30 light housing.

I was thinking about getting a color changing light bulb, so I searched Amazon. I was quite surprised by how high true cost is...

P&LED (120V,35W) Color Changing Replacement Swimming Pool Lights Bulb LED PAR56 Light (switch control + remote control type) For Pentair Hayward Light Fixture,and For Inground Pool ,E27/E26 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JOFE4EO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vbfTyb0Y1KJME

Why not just use a generic BR40 LED bulb that costs <$10?

Can anyone explain why the difference and should I really spend the money on a "pool" bulb?

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may not be happy with the BR40 the highest lumens I could find is 1100 the pool LED bulb is about 3X that, and that is likely still less than the incandescent you are replacing. Some might disagree with me but if you only use the light a few times a year I would stay with the incandescent. You are likely spending $0.09 an hour to run the light so if your usage is say 30 hours a year that is just a couple bucks. On the other hand if you use the light as part of the landscape light then by all means go LED.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.