cya test

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
I'm slowly adding stabilzer to pool to gradually boost cya so as to not go overboard.(Was at 27, now 30, shooting for your rec. of 40 for a 22,500 gal vinly AG) However, the level is creeping up a little too slowly and I've run out of the chems to test already :( I'm in the process of ordering 'another round' as it were. But, when this new batch arrives, has anyone tried this test using less of the chem required along with the lesser amt of pool water? I understand you need to have enough mixture to properly fill the tube if levels are low, but once you get it to the range you want, can you cut back on the amount you use, and is it just a half/half ratio? At this rate, I'll go broke buying the test kit!!

I can't answer your modified test question, but have you calculated the amount of stabilizer you used to raise it 3ppm? if so, I would be comfortable raising it to 40 based on that calculation or using the pool calculator suggestion. the range recommended here is 30-50, so even if you overshoot 40 a bit, it's still not like you're going to have to drain water or anything. and that way you won't go broke buying the reagents :)

When you add CYA, you don't want to retest for it for at least 5-7 days, as it can take that long to fully dissolve and register on the tests. How did you add it?

Once it's in the 30-50 range, unless you have had substantial water replacement, you shouldn't need to test it again for another month or more. Testing it weekly will only waste reagents.

CYA tests don't need weekly testing, only monthly or so, and/or when adjusting.

I understand you need to have enough mixture to properly fill the tube if levels are low, but once you get it to the range you want, can you cut back on the amount you use, and is it just a half/half ratio?
Yes, you can do that without a problem.....it is a 50/50 mix.

Thanks! I will try cutting it by 50/50. I did follow the pool calculator, but it seems as though it's not raising it like it should be.... I put into the calculator that I wanted a level of 40, so I added a little more than half of suggested amt this last time, which several posts suggest adding half at a time then adjust as it's better to add than remove (this raised it from 27-30). Would have thought I would have at least been at 35! I have waited between checking, and yes we've had lots of rain and the cya level seems to keep dropping accordingly. btw, I added it into the skimmer. I will go ahead and dump some more in and hope for the best. It seems I'm burning thru the CL so want to get this level up a bit more.

You need a signature to include your pool specs and equipment.

If you have a sand filter that requires backwashing, it's better to put the CYA in a sock and let it dissolve in the skimmer that way, so it doesn't interfere with backwashing and you won't lose the CYA if you have to bw.

I learned the hardway there are different concentrations of CYA, I bought and added a CYA product that was only 50% CYA....didn't understand why my level wasn't where I targeted. Are you certain of the % of the active ingredient?

For your sig - Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

spf30 said:
I'm slowly adding stabilzer to pool to gradually boost cya so as to not go overboard.(Was at 27, now 30, shooting for your rec. of 40 for a 22,500 gal vinly AG) However, the level is creeping up a little too slowly and I've run out of the chems to test already :(
I have one question...Why? All you have done is wasted time and reagent. Why not just determine how much CYA you need to reach your target level and add it all at once and then test it a week later? Chances are you will be right on the money or close enough for government work. If you are afraid of overshooting then just add 3/4 of the desired amount (and when you find that you are a bit shy on the desired level a week later add the rest! :wink: )

I have noticed that a lot of people make things much harder than they need to be when dealing with their pools. KISS!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.