New to the site and excited for my inground pool in the fall of 2017

Feb 23, 2017
Saline, MI
I there. This is a great community and I've already learned about deep cleaning a sand filter and a few other things that will be very helpful as a new pool owner. I subscript to reddit.com/r/pools, but there's a lot more activity here than there is on reddit.

I'm looking at a 16'x36' inground pool with a deep end (~25,000 gallons). I'm in Michigan so I'll be getting a heatpump.

I've learned that moving from a single speed pump to a VS pump will be a smart investment. It's too bad there's no rebates that my energy company offers for this (Stupid DTE energy :mad:). Also that I should have my installer put in 2" plumbing instead of 1.5" plumbing. It seems that flexible PVC in the ground is OK to do in Michigan from what my installer tells me and what I've read.

I'm glad this site exists and I look forward to learning more and more :D!

Welcome and congrats. Sounds like a fantastic pool. 2" inch is best and there's plenty of discussion on the underground piping. By flexible pvc, is that spa piping? I have black poly piping and it leaks at the connections after 15 years. There are some stories on here that the spa piping underground can eventually collapse when used on a suction line. Personally, I would use Sch. 40 PVC buried in sand to mitigate frost heave.

As for the pump, unless you are looking to fully automate everything you should look at a two speed pump. Two speed pumps have 2 run speeds (obviously, ha), generally the lower of which uses ~25% power of full speed. This setup provides the power savings without paying for the VS. Generally, your pool can be run at low speed for everything except vacuuming OR feeding a solar heat system. And my basic automation can still switch between the speeds. Even moreso, if you are getting a robot to do your vacuuming the 2 speed makes even more sense.

Now if you have many water features, spa, etc. than a variable pump might make more sense. I don't know about MI, but usually our Midwest electric costs don't justify a VS pump.

By flexible pvc, is that spa piping? I have black poly piping and it leaks at the connections after 15 years. There are some stories on here that the spa piping underground can eventually collapse when used on a suction line. Personally, I would use Sch. 40 PVC buried in sand to mitigate frost heave.

As for the pump, unless you are looking to fully automate everything you should look at a two speed pump. Two speed pumps have 2 run speeds (obviously, ha), generally the lower of which uses ~25% power of full speed. This setup provides the power savings without paying for the VS. Generally, your pool can be run at low speed for everything except vacuuming OR feeding a solar heat system. And my basic automation can still switch between the speeds. Even moreso, if you are getting a robot to do your vacuuming the 2 speed makes even more sense.

Now if you have many water features, spa, etc. than a variable pump might make more sense. I don't know about MI, but usually our Midwest electric costs don't justify a VS pump.

I asked my pool builder about using ridged pvc underground and he says he can do it, but you need sand around it, like you said, and that means a little more labor. He said he's been using flexible pvc underground for 40 years and never had a problem. Think I should tell him I want the higher cost rigid pvc underground? I'm assuming he'd just be using stuff like this 2" flexible pvc, but I don't know for sure.

I was thinking the VS might be good because we're going to have a swimout in our deep end that will have jets in it (8' Step and Bench Cantilever(Plumbed and Jetted)). I'm not looking to automate things. I did ask my builder about a robot and he said he'd throw another inlet (maybe that's the wrong term, but I can't recall) so I could hook up a robot to run off of another jet in my pool that will help with cleaning. I'm looking at either the Pentair 342001 or Pentair 011018. According to camelcamelcamel.com the prices of booth drop around July. Since I'm planning for ground breaking at the beginning of August it seems like a good bet. I'm also looking at a Pentair Triton II TR-100 filter with a Pentair 261055 Multiport Valve. I just think it's best to spend more upfront for something longer lasting and more efficient in the long run. Thoughts?

I may defer to his experience on the flex piping. Has he offered any installs as references? Maybe you could check with them.

The two speed should still more than adequately handle your scenario. Other members will chime in soon with opinions on the pump.

Vacuum/Cleaner - Look at a robot. He's talking about either a separate suction line for a suction side vac or another return (jet, outlet, etc.) from the pump or a booster pump to run a pressure side cleaner. While these are good, they are quickly be coming replaced with robots. Robots are self propelled, self contained cleaners/vacuums that only require electric power to operate. The huge advantage here is they can be run without running your pump and/or booster pump. Check this out: First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery - Page 12

Your filters and MPV (multi-port valve) look like great choices. I like my sand filter and it's ease to backwash, though if I were buying new I would be interested in a DE filter. Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Vacuum/Cleaner - Look at a robot. He's talking about either a separate suction line for a suction side vac or another return (jet, outlet, etc.) from the pump or a booster pump to run a pressure side cleaner. While these are good, they are quickly be coming replaced with robots. Robots are self propelled, self contained cleaners/vacuums that only require electric power to operate. The huge advantage here is they can be run without running your pump and/or booster pump. Check this out: First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery - Page 12

Can you tell me where I can find out more of the pro's and con's of the different pool cleaners? Is it smart to get the extra return just for a cleaner?