Salt Water Hot Tub ?

smanni

Oct 20, 2012
Wildwood Crest NJ
So we have 100% made up our mind that we are going with a SWG in the main pool....and that our hot tub will be a separate stand alone NON concrete unit that will sit on our covered porch of the pool house structure.

Surprisingly - a few of the pool builders were very aggressively trying to talk us out of salt (Im guessing this is to sell us chemicals...forever...Razer/razer blade analogy)....but the Hot Tub people are 10x more adamant against salt.

We like a specific Cal Spas Atlantic unit and it is in our budgeted price range. Offers a titanium heater and a SWG but the dealer (every one of them) doesnt want us to get salt.

Thoughts? Understanding that the chemistry may have different challenges due to the increased temp - is salt and a SWG in a hot tub really that different than a Pool? Should we really stay away from them?

Spa stores hate the idea of SWGs in hot tubs not because of technical problems but because it means you won't be buying over-priced chemicals from them on a weekly basis. Bromine tablets are expensive and marked up and silver ion/MPS products are incredibly expensive to use in the long run.

As long as the hot tub manufacturer gives the ok to use salt in their specific model, then there's no warranty issue. You definitely want to keep an good eye on the tub chemistry as an SWG tub will have rising pH issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every hot tub is going to have salt in it because all chlorine products and acid products add salt to the water, so do the people sweating in the tub and tap water. I wouldn't be surprised if your tub has 1000 ppm or more salt already. Lots of folks with saltwater tubs either add on salt units like Saltron or factory salt systems like ACE by Hot Spring.

More here about managing your pH, lowering TA to 50 and adding 50 ppm of borates. It makes managing pH easy!
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

We live in Coopersburg and I have been reading your posts- you seems to have gone through the exact thoughts and process we are now going through. We want SWG pool but separate hot tub for year round use but want salt water hot tub. We wanted Carlton's Ecofinish but do not want them to build pool just based on numerous negative reviews and overall vibe we got with our meeting with them. Monogram is known to do a great job and I am sure you are happy with the outcome. The Cal Spa I'm guessing maybe you went to Pelican. Im guessing Monogram won't use carlton subcontractor for Ecofinish. How did your process go? What was the outcome of the hot tub? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.