I think I have the start of Black Algae - Black spots on bottom of the pool

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
So the other day I noticed I had some small black spots near the pool drains. I thought they were pill bugs as in the spring/summer we get a lot of them and thought when I turned on my vac this week (try and vac pool once a week) and it would pick them up.

So pool vac ran today and the spots are still there. Grabbed my nylon brush move them around and I could only get say 1 out of a dozen to move. They're black spots on my plaster. My FC is always in recommended range, however, during the winter I haven't brushed the bottom of the pool regularly (did not "close" pool).

Spots are in the deep end, water is 42 so I'm not jumping in to scrub, so it looks like I'll get a stainless brush and try and brush the spots 7' underwater. Any suggestions other than what I found here - Pool School - Black Algae

Wish me luck!

OH no! I KNOW you have kept your levels balanced! I wonder if you can rig up a way to put a puck on top of one of the spots? maybe in a holey bag like mesh? That way you can get it in and out without getting in the burrrrr your self!

Kim:kim:

Right. People typically use the granulated version when the problem is more widespread and they don't feel like holding a puck on every spot. Lazy way out.
You mean the lazy way that worked like a charm? Yes, trichlor. The spots were at the end of a swim lane that gets poor circulation because of the pool design. I turned the pump off and used a healthy dose sprinkled right over the area with the spots. 8 hours later I started the pump back up and vacuumed the area. Problem 100% solved the easy way, aka the lazy way I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Caco.
Is it necessary to have the fc levels at shock level when using the rubbing the tricholr on the black algae or can i have them at 7-9?

Id like to be in the pool when treating the black algae but rather not a shock fc levles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consoleman
I would let the FC drop to 1-2 points below your slam level and then get in the pool
It is safe to swim at that level
7-9FC is your daily maintenance level

So we dont keep hijacking the OP's thread, why dont you start your own thread, and post a full set of test results, so we can give you advice specific to your situation

UPDATE: I have pneumonia so I haven't been diligent about brushing our getting my son to brush. Wire brush was delivered and son brushed this morning, looked this afternoon and spots are all there but they're lighter, progress? FC is 7, CC is .05

Plaster guy just left and said it's "organic" Suggested bumping-up FC level and brush, said it would come off. Any suggestions on how high to take my FC?

Here are my current numbers:
FC - 6
CC - .5
pH - 7.5
TA - 80 (going to bring this down to 60 AGAIN before I do this)
CH - 1050
CYA - 30
Salt - 3,500
CSI - .05

Qingguy,

First, I am gonna suggest you bump your CYA to 60-70. 30 is too low for the coming Vegas summer and an SWG.

After that bump, I would bring the FC up to around 15 or so. There is no Magic number but that's a good place to be very effective. That steel brush has to be used, too. Don't erode a hole in your finish but use it often to expose that black algae to the chlorine.

Qingguy,

First, I am gonna suggest you bump your CYA to 60-70. 30 is too low for the coming Vegas summer and an SWG.

After that bump, I would bring the FC up to around 15 or so. There is no Magic number but that's a good place to be very effective. That steel brush has to be used, too. Don't erode a hole in your finish but use it often to expose that black algae to the chlorine.
Yep, coming out of my winter levels. During the winter I float pucks to maintain 5 FC, doesn't take much and doesn't seem to raise the CYA level at all either. I'll be raising the CYA shortly, not sure if I'll get to it before I shock but soon. Thanks for the tip on the wire brush use.

Duraleigh you got me thinking, do you think I should raise my CYA and then slam? This is my first slam btw.

Do you think I should not worry about lowering my TA until after my slam? I guess I'm needing guidance on order of importance.

Heres a picture of the spots
8ca49c50537c20c2ebf62b4b499424b6.jpg

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.