Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sodium polyacrylate in bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sodium polyacrylate in bleach?

Hi all, I've been using unscented Clorox bleach from the grocery store as my main chlorine source since my CYA levels are through the roof. A relative told me that I should specifically buy the more concentrated pool chlorine specifically marketed for pools, since it doesn't have the sodium polyacrylate found in Clorox, but unfortunately I can't find a nearby pool store that carries pool chlorine. There was an old post by chem geek Richard that the sodium polyacrylate concentrations are likely very low so would probably take a long time to build up, but I did see these lovely YouTube videos of people mixing sodium polyacrylate with water to make this fluffy white fake snow, so I'm wondering do any of the other members here use Clorox brand or am I the only one who's going to have white stuff in my pool?
    10k in ground, plaster, and unfortunately still trying to figure out the rest of the equipment.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sodium polyacrylate in bleach?

I'm not 100%certain but googling uses of sodium polyacrilate lead me to believe your friend is referring to an ingredient that might be found in a "splash less" bleach and not regular old plain bleach.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Never heard of this problem so I think you're safe

Plain, unscented 8-10% household bleach is ideal. Chlorox is name brand so it costs a bit more, that's all. Store brands work just as well. Do not buy the splashless product either.

Do NOT buy Chlorox Blu pool products as they contain added copper. Copper is unwanted in pools as it causes green hair and stains to the pool surface.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Trust old chem geek posts. As he said, it is added to Clorox specifically as a metal sequesterant but because there is so little (as it is intended to sequester the metals in a few gallons of water) it will have little effect on metals in the pool water. If you are concerned you can switch to a store brand which will likely not contain any but it isn't a concern regardless.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath