A Pool Guru: At Your Service!

What is the best way to eliminate algea in the Pool

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrH20

In The Industry
Jun 14, 2009
I work for a company in The Woodlands, TX that sells supplies retail/wholesale. In my off-time I have trouble getting specific customer issues out of my head so I thought this would be a great way to alleviate the problem. If anyone on this site needs help with a pool/equipment issue, PLEASE feel free to let me know. I can trouble shoot just about every cleaner, chemistry and service problem you could possibly think of. I have 9 years experience and love what I do! I look forward to new issues.

Thanks,
The Dr. is in! lol

Hey, Doc,

This forum is loaded with folks looking for good, solid advice. Pick any section you want and you will find people asking for a ton of help.....particularly in pool water chemistry.

That said, it may be a good idea to read some of what we teach up in Pool School before you jump in. Some, perhaps much of it may be a little different from what you have learned heretofore.

Welcome to the forum. :-D

A) Maintain a chlorine residule of 1-3ppm
B) Shock weekly during the warm season
C) Get rid of any Phosphates in your pool water
D) Always keep a clean filter
E) All of the above

oh the poor people who have to deal with (and pay for) this sort of maintenance. except for the clean filter thing. you will find in the excellent pool school articles duraleigh mentioned that A B and C are almost always wrong, or perhaps a better way of saying it is, this site advocates a cheaper and more correct way of caring for your pool for those who are willing to spend a few minutes a day or every couple days to test their water. and a worse way of saying it would be we don't want that kind of garbage pool store advice here. the pool store gives that stuff out for free too, and you can read through the threads to see how that's worked out for most everyone here.

What's up doc? :p

I'd have answered the poll, but "F- none of the above" is the only acceptable answer :cry:

Of the offerings you post not one of them can entirely prevent an algae bloom!

There are issues with each of A - D and therefore, E can't be the answer, even if used in conjunction :-D

I think you were looking to reveal the 'magic answer' as being E, but as I said, E ain't the answer :hammer:

I sincerely welcome you here :bowdown: and hope that you will 1) learn, as I have, why the pool industry 'hype' isn't correct and 2) use your knowledge to help the members here, as I have :)

You are here, which shows to me that you actually CARE about the pools you build/ service :goodjob: There are some couple few of us industry people that are actually willing to improve the industry by coming here and learning how to properly build and service pools correctly :party:

I've been in the pool industry 1/2 my life and it wasn't till I found Pool Solutions and this site, that I had full confidence that I was servicing my customers the RIGHT way :-D

Reebok and DB (who's also in the industry) have posted whilst I was 'hunting and pecking' my way across the keyboard - they're saying the same thing I am, just not being as nice to a 'newbie' :lol:

F: None of the above.

To eliminate algae, one must shock their pool until the algae is dead, holding shock level according to their current CYA level. Maintaining proper FC levels in accordance with one's current CYA level is what will prevent algae from occurring. Refer to the CYA Chlorine Chart.

Welcome :)

I haven't shocked my pool since I went away for 10 days last August and shut the pump off. The pool is open year round!

For what it's worth, I have also worked in the retail end of pool/spa maintenance and have also taken care of commercial installations and, IMHO, your poll is worthless. I suggest you click on the pool school link in the upper left hand corner of the page and start learning!

BTW, the correct answer to your poll is 'None of the Above" so for that reason I am going to lock this thead and poll.

(algae is spelled with an "ae" not an "ea" btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.