Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Water

In the last few days my water has turned from clear to green.
    Added 2 gallons 10% bleach yesterday.
    Pool is open all winter.
    Following is test levels from today.
    PH 7.6, TC 5.0, FC 5.5, CC 0.0, CH 250, TA 100, CYA 90
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    East Texas, Inground 17,000 gal. Vinyl Liner - New Liner July 2016, Pentair 2 speed 1HP Pump - New March 2015,
    Purex Triton Tagleus 60D Sand Filter - New Sand July 2016, Aquabot Turbo T Jet Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Water

With CYA of 90, you need to raise your TC to about 10-12.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    My Pool: In-ground, ~15,000 Gallons, Fresh Water, Plaster/Gunnite or what ever..
    Shape - Roughly like an oblong figure 8 / somewhat oval
    Depth - ~4.5-5 ft

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually Garret, I'd go a step further and give you this to think about .... Green water = algae = "SLAM" which at a CYA of 90 requires an FC shock level of "35". Can it be maintained and done that way? .... absolutely. Or ..... you could exchange some of that high CYA water to bring the CYA down to about 60 or so which would require a much less shock FC as noted on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Either way is fine and up to you, but it is critical you maintain that required FC level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Always refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Remember to adjust pH down to about 7.2 BEFORE increasing the FC. That's very important. Make sure to follow the directions on the SLAM page (link below) for best success. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hold on for a bit. Did your water turn to clear green within a short time or did it get dull and turn cloudy green? That could be two entirely separate causes. Got a pic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School