Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Staining

1. Back To Top    #1

Staining

I was bad about maintaining my acrylic spa this winter. What can be used to remove this staining on both the shell and the fixtures?

~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Staining

If that is rust then you can use an acid to remove it. Start with vinegar and move to diluted muriatic acid if you need more strength. Always add acid to water and never water to acid. 4 to 1 and move up as needed. Gloves and eye protection are always recommended.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I think ascorbic acid would be better. You don't want to hit already rusty metal with a strong acid. I think even CLR would be a better choice. Bar Keepers Friend liquid cleaner is excellent at removing rust stains from acrylic.

Go slow and easy and don't overdo it. As Danny said, use the least concentrated product you can, then step it up from there. After all is said and done, dump the spa water and start over.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you. Any thoughts to the best cleaner for the shell? I previously used diluted chlorine in the water but I don't know if that's the best for it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Also...is it possible to replace the rusty fixtures, or remove, grnd, refinish and seal?

If the steel fixtures are easy to remove, you might also try hub cap chrome cream...I've successfully removed rust from high gloss chrome mid-century furniture with same.
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I think ascorbic acid would be better. You don't want to hit already rusty metal with a strong acid. I think even CLR would be a better choice. Bar Keepers Friend liquid cleaner is excellent at removing rust stains from acrylic.

Go slow and easy and don't overdo it. As Danny said, use the least concentrated product you can, then step it up from there. After all is said and done, dump the spa water and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, Bob and I were just discussing AA vs MA in PM. I'm losing 2 to 1.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I started last night with vinnegar. How long do you usually leave an acidic solution on the spot to treat? Should i be spraying it on and leaving for a couple hours, or spray and wiping right away?

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't think vinegar is going to work well. It's acetic acid and it's a fairly weak acid / chelating agent. It's only good for calcium in my opinion and even then it's easily overwhelmed.

Try Bar Keepers Friend liquid cleaner. You apply it to a cloth or sponge and rub it on. Then rinse to clean.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I don't think vinegar is going to work well. It's acetic acid and it's a fairly weak acid / chelating agent. It's only good for calcium in my opinion and even then it's easily overwhelmed.

Try Bar Keepers Friend liquid cleaner. You apply it to a cloth or sponge and rub it on. Then rinse to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A decent amount came off w/ the vinegar, but then again it could have been just the rubbing action. I still have tough spots to hit up so I'll look into that and the other products mentioned. Thank you