As long as I'm replacing my concrete deck...

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

There is a decent possibility that I'll be replacing my concrete deck surrounding my IG vinyl pool. The concrete is in rough shape and is probably 30 years old.

So, as long as I'm tearing it up, I figure I should take it as an opportunity to do projects that would be difficult without tearing it up. Which of the below would you do or would not do, and what would you add to the list:

1) Replace aluminum coping with coping that would support a cantilever edge or paver coping
2) Install lighting system (talk about that more here: installing-new-lighting-t13843.html )
3) Replace all underground piping with new
4) Run new more powerful electric line

Anything else I should consider that is much easier to do when the deck is out? For instance, is it much easier to do a water fall when there is no deck? ... Those types of things.

Thanks!

Notes: I already have a diving board and slide. Also I won't be replacing the liner at this time.

I would absolutly replace the plumbing lines and probobly the skimmers too, they tend to get destroyed when the concrete is ripped up. As far as the coping goes, if you are going to replace that I would concider replacing it with simple track and having your deck poured with stagmir forms, they make that bull nose concrete over pour that has no coping. This would also be the time to add an lights, sidewall suctions, or returns you want. You could even add a water feature if you are so inclined. Almost anything short of a main drain is possible when you are replacing the concrete decking. If you need more power at the pad go ahead and do that as well.

HarryH3 said:
If you live where you could use some solar heating, it would be a great time to install piping in the concrete to heat the pool. :)

I'm considering it actually! Not sure how expensive it is though yet, and I'm also not sure if I'm going concrete or pavers. I guess only real concern is that if I put that down and then in the future needed to tear up the concrete again (for say a cracked pipe), then I'm tearing up my heater at the same time...but it's a consideration for sure!

MEvan said:
This would also be the time to add an lights, sidewall suctions, or returns you want. You could even add a water feature if you are so inclined.

Side wall suctions? You mean like a second skimmer?

Right now I have one return in the deep and one return in the shallow that are on opposite ends creating a circular flow around the pool. Seems to work well.

I wasn't sure how water features worked and if this would be a better time or not. If now is the time to do it though...I'll probably start looking into it to consider my options.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.