Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie wanting to get the #'s right for the start of the season

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie wanting to get the #'s right for the start of the season

I got a lot of help from this forum when we bought our house in Aug 2016 and the pool turned green on us before we could even use it. So thank you all for that! It still sparkles today!

We did not cover and ran the filter maybe 2hrs a day, there is no big debris just some bugs and some small stuff that blows around. I checked the FC levels once in a blue moon over the winter and added bleach here and there when needed. I wanted to try to get the #'s somewhat close so when it's time we can adjust it and just jump right in. I tested all but the CH (do I need to test that?)

RESULTS...
    FC 3
    CC 0
    TC 3
    TA 200
    CYA 60
    pH 8.2 (maybe higher)

I added 3c muratic acid will wait 60 mins to test again and before adding the bleach.

What else do I need to be doing? Or should I not even bother until it gets closer to swim time
    I am sure I will be on here this summer asking a lot of questions again being this will be our first time maintaining a pool.
    24' round above ground - 13,500 gal
    sand filter - TF-100 - 1.5 hp pump
    We live outside of city limits and water costs are doubled

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie wanting to get the #'s right for the start of the season

Hi Staci
    Your numbers look pretty good, just some minor tweaks and you are all good to go

You will need to bring your FC higher, with a CYA of 60 you need to target 9 and not let it drop below 5

When you adjust ph, drop it to 7.2 every time. This will start to lower your high TA. Once you TA starts to come down you will need to adjust your ph less often

Yes test your CH and put everything into poolmath. Have a look at your CSI number and post what that is, so we can get your pool balanced

I think you are doing the right thing by addressing the pool now. The basic rule of thumb we use is to open the pool at 60 degrees and close once the pool has gone below 60 degrees. Your water temp may be close to that now.
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree, and perhaps with some rain this spring and summer you'll see your Cya come down at a desirable rate. It doesnt need a lot of reduction so it shouldn't take long.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Caco View Post
    Hi Staci
    Your numbers look pretty good, just some minor tweaks and you are all good to go

You will need to bring your FC higher, with a CYA of 60 you need to target 9 and not let it drop below 5

When you adjust ph, drop it to 7.2 every time. This will start to lower your high TA. Once you TA starts to come down you will need to adjust your ph less often

Yes test your CH and put everything into poolmath. Have a look at your CSI number and post what that is, so we can get your pool balanced

I think you are doing the right thing by addressing the pool now. The basic rule of thumb we use is to open the pool at 60 degrees and close once the pool has gone below 60 degrees. Your water temp may be close to that now.

Good deal! Thanks for the confidence that I got this going in the right direction, although I am not sure how to test CSI#'s, little hint? LOL

5. Back To Top    #5

although I am not sure how to test CSI#'s, little hint?
    Staci, CSI can be found on the poolmath calculator just under the temperature section. CSI is your pool's Calcite Saturation Index, and is comprised of pH, TA, and CH. Water temp can also effect CSI. But once you enter all of your numbers into the calculator, it will give you a "CSI" result (i.e. -0.02). Look off to the right of where it says "Fahrenheit", and the calculator will say "balanced" or things like "potential for scale" or "potential for corrosion" when you hover your curser over your CSI numbers. Normally this relates to the health of a plaster pool not so much vinyl. As long as you keep your readings in the ranges noted on the TFP Pool School - Recommended Levels page, everything should be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Staci, CSI can be found on the poolmath calculator just under the temperature section. CSI is your pool's Calcite Saturation Index, and is comprised of pH, TA, and CH. Water temp can also effect CSI. But once you enter all of your numbers into the calculator, it will give you a "CSI" result (i.e. -0.02). Look off to the right of where it says "Fahrenheit", and the calculator will say "balanced" or things like "potential for scale" or "potential for corrosion" when you hover your curser over your CSI numbers. Normally this relates to the health of a plaster pool not so much vinyl. As long as you keep your readings in the ranges noted on the TFP Pool School - Recommended Levels page, everything should be fine.
    I did see the CSI on the calculator, just wasn't sure how to test for it. Thanks for the direction Texas Splash