DE to Sand

Aug 11, 2008
All help would be greatfull..
We are having issues with the DE filter as stated in previous posts. Have new grids and continue to have pressure reading start at 15 and go to 35 in about 1hr. When taking apart there isnt enough DE on the grids to be causing this even a pool service man came out opened the tank and said the same thing. He says he done a water test and all things looked good w/ no algae.

We are now thinking of changing to a sand filter. Our current DE filter is a side mount and the multiport valve seems to be working w/out too much issue. Small water leak at the eye bubble.
If we change the filter to a sand filter how soon should we see a difference in the clarity of the water. Have looked at the Pentair 140264 Triton Fiberglass Sand Filter - TR60. Our local pool company says that this would be probably our best bet.

I/G Gunite Pool
25000 gal.
Anthony DE 60sqft
1.5HP Motor

Our water is not clear now. The water is cloudy. We can now see the third step. At the beginning we could only see the first step. The system has ran 24/7 for several weeks trying to take care of this but with the filter acting up as in earlier post I am ready to change systems so we can have a clear pool for the remaining summer!

Why would the TR100 be a better match for the pump?

The TR-60 is a little too small. You want a filter quite a bit larger than your pumps GPM.

However, before you change, I'll bet the filter is not your issue. I doubt you have enough chlorine in your pool and that's why your water is cloudy. Posting a full set of test results will give us a clue.

The service man said that the chlorine was fine. He ran a water test and said all things were in range. The pressure on the filter starts at 15 after a backwash and rinse and w/in an hour it is at 35. Ran the system thru recirulate and the pressure at the return jets was fine. No one can seem to figure out why the pressure jumps so fast w/ the grids clean!

Servicemen are usually not very good at testing water quality. There is no test for algae.

How are you chlorinating your pool? I still think that is your issue as algae was an issue last year with your pool as well. However, without a set of test results, that's only a guess.

I think that since you pool is not clear, it's just the filter picking up the particulate in the pool and basically doing it's job. :-D

Please post a full set of test results (NOT from test strips). I am particularly interested in your CYA level. I have an idea of what might be going on and it's not your filter. I assume you are using trichlor tabs for chlorinating?

OK folks.. here are the results from using my TF - 100 Test Kit:

PH 7.7
CL 2
Tot. Alk. 150
Cal. Hard 320
CL Drop Test 1PPM
CYA Would Not Read
Filled beaker to top and could see black dot.
Did this test twice with same results
I know I know NOT GOOD!

I am sure these sets will help with clearing the pool
but what about the pressure going up so fast.

The gauge is a brand new one. I thought maybe the other one was broken so I replaced it with a new one. Same issue.

Anyway, be gentle on me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.