Opinions on pool length for swimming laps

mouty

Feb 18, 2017
annapolis, md
We are designing a pool and trying to determine the shortest length that we can make it but having it still useful for swimming laps. Let me be clear though, no Olympic training going on her - think more just exercising in the evening. The pool will also be used for water sports by my teenagers and they love to race their mom who use to be a good swimmer, but is now just an old swimmer! Any experiences you all have had would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Our pool is a 41 foot long play/sport pool, 4x5x4 depth is better than 3-1/2x5x4. The length is great for spreading out and playing games, throwing balls, etc. For swimming laps it is ok for slow, amateur swimmers. We can get quite a few strokes in we before we hit the wall and have to turn. But, any shorter would not be good. My son is a very competetive swimmer who has made it to regionals in several events and it is not good for him at all. He can swim 40' in a couple of strokes in half a second.

Our pool is a 41 foot long play/sport pool, 4x5x4 depth is better than 3-1/2x5x4. The length is great for spreading out and playing games, throwing balls, etc. For swimming laps it is ok for slow, amateur swimmers.

Is there something lower than "slow and amateur"? That would be me. Our pool is 38' long minus a bench on one end. It is also just ok for swimming laps for most people. But for me, I get distracted, start looking at the landscaping, thinking about how nice the water looks, etc. so I only swim a few laps and it's fine. I also enjoy treading water for exercise or shooting baskets while treading. So that's not really helpful I suppose. A family member has a pool that is 45' long. He needs to swim for health issues and finds that he can be happy with that length. It's a freeform pool but it's still a big pool..

I am the least hydrodynamic shape possible (short and fat) and I can totally lap my 38' long pool in like 6 strokes (before a-fib sets in)...

A 50' pool length is kind of the minimum for any form of decent swimming exercise. If you have the room for it you could do a 50'x20'x4-1/2'(avg depth) and be at about 33000 gallons. A big pool for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm under 5' and not a fast swimmer. We have 30' and I do ok with laps in it. No flip turns but I can get some exercise for sure. I think whatever length you go with (wouldn't go less than mine), you can adapt and get your exercise in and make it work for you. Just my 2 cents

I would think it the other way around, how long of pool can I make it for swimming laps. My 2 cents, a four foot deep lap lane would be ideal that is at least 40' long, the longer the better though.

As an amateur competitive swimmer I tend to think 15 meters is bare minimum which is around 50 feet. My pool is 30 feet and I would not even think about trying to work-out in it. With that said you might get pretty good use out of 40 feet, but definitely no less than that. Especially if you have a sunshelf taking up several feet at one end. I was looking at putting in a current generator like the ones used in endless pools (Fastlane) but they were way out of my price range so I just workout at the Natatorium.

Most comments on lots of things are relative to a person's own state of being or location. i.e. Dallas has the most unique weather of anywhere, that 25K gallon pool is huge, Crocs rock, flagstone is soft, we're getting a simple pool, etc.

Fun to read the comments!!

To the OP - So what lengths are realistically in play for your lot and budget?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most comments on lots of things are relative to a person's own state of being or location. i.e. Dallas has the most unique weather of anywhere, that 25K gallon pool is huge, Crocs rock, flagstone is soft, we're getting a simple pool, etc.

Fun to read the comments!!

To the OP - So what lengths are realistically in play for your lot and budget?

We do not have loads of space (nor loads of money!). We were thinking of something between 30 and 40 feet. We are in Maryland so the pool will not be used year round (yes I am jealous of all of you warm weather folks in Texas and Florida!). We are trying to maximize its utility while keeping in "fiscally responsible."

All of these responses have been extremely helpful. At the end of the day I know it comes down to personal preference but it is still helpful to collect everyone's opinions and experiences - so thank you!

We have just burried our old plastic above ground pool after 5 years of tropical sun. It was 9' x 18'. And yes you coud swim laps. 3 to 4 strokes in each direction. We are now getting ready to build an 8' x 24' in ground pool. And my old, flabby self will be doing laps in that. I think its just a matter of how serious your laps are.:cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.