How to tell age of Muriatic Acid?

The yellow color associated with MA is from dissolved Fe impurities brought in from the manufacturing process. It takes only very minimal concentration of iron (a few ppm ) to give it the yellow color.

I would expect 31.45% acid to fume or have some detectable odor. What does the bottle label say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Lowes has full strength MA in the "back", inside near the doors to the pool section.
For your sake I hope they keep it. I talked with my Lowes store manager and he said it wasn't even in his ordering catalog anymore. He was told it's part of their push to promote "green" products. Sigh.....

But, due to this I wandered back in to one of my local pool stores. Their price is actually lower than Lowes was before they stopped selling it.

For your sake I hope they keep it. I talked with my Lowes store manager and he said it wasn't even in his ordering catalog anymore. He was told it's part of their push to promote "green" products. Sigh.....

But, due to this I wandered back in to one of my local pool stores. Their price is actually lower than Lowes was before they stopped selling it.

It's cheapest at my local mom & pop pool store because they sell it in refillable containers in 4x1 gallon reusable carriers. I get it for $4.75/gal and that's at least a dollar cheaper than any place else around me.

push to promote "green" products. Sigh.....

Yeah, this is definitely a case of flawed logic on the green-ness of a product. Half strength MA requires twice as much manufacturing, twice as much packaging, twice as much transportation to distribution centers and stores and twice as many bottles thrown away. We need to do better about considering the entire supply chain and product life cycle of products when determining environmental impact.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The MA I got from Home Depot is the HDX brand and it's 31.45% - 20% baume. If it is in fact from 2013 then maybe they won't restock this strong stuff any longer but are trying to sell through it.

Yeah, this is definitely a case of flawed logic on the green-ness of a product. Half strength MA requires twice as much manufacturing, twice as much packaging, twice as much transportation to distribution centers and stores and twice as many bottles thrown away. We need to do better about considering the entire supply chain and product life cycle of products when determining environmental impact.
Truer words have never been spoken....

The MA I got from Home Depot is the HDX brand and it's 31.45% - 20% baume. If it is in fact from 2013 then maybe they won't restock this strong stuff any longer but are trying to sell through it.

I just bought the same stuff from HD last weekend. They had plenty of it stocked here in Houston

It has an odor for sure. I honestly didn't check the odor but I looked back at it and the brand is sunbelt chemicals. It was marked under HDX on the shelf but isn't.

Where did you get yours? A rep pointed me to the paint section first but that was the half strength stuff. The good stuff was outside in the nursery

Ok. Yes, it's the same. Mine too was outdoors in the nursery near pool chemicals about at a slight distance intentionally storing it away from liquid chlorine.

I did notice they had two types sitting right next to each other - same brand but different colors on the packaging. On the HD app one says "for swimming pools" and it's the half strength stuff. The other is slightly more expensive but full strength.

I used it last night. When I test today if my ph didn't drop as expected ill report back

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.