Broken Thru Bolt

May 27, 2008
Northern New York
I took apart my pump motor and it looks like part of the thru bolt from the motor corroded and broke off in the impeller. Can this be fixed? I have not seen anywhere you can buy just the thru bolt. The motor seems to be working. However it was not moving any water, presumably due to the broken bolt. I wonder if I wasn't draining the pump properly for the off season.

It is a 5 year old Jacuzzi SLR 1.5HP.

If there is a motor shop nearby, they will most likely have a box of these bolts lying around under a workbench. You can also fabricate a replacement with a length of threaded rod and a nut.
To remove the broken stub, you may need to drill it and use an extractor (http://homerepair.about.com/od/interior ... ractor.htm). Spraying some penetrant, like PB Blaster, Kroil, or Liquid Wrench will help. Clean the threads up with a tap afterwards.

that is pretty unlikely, most shafts are one piece. If the shaft is actually broken, your pump is probobly so beat up you should just replace it. It is more likely that your impellor has a brass thread insert. Post a pic.

If the shaft is broken, the motor is pretty much toast. A photo would certainly go a long ways to clarifying what we're talking about, but if, as you say, the center shaft of the motor has sheared and part of it is stuck in the pump, then you definitely need a motor, and may need a pump as well, depending on how readily the shaft stub cam be removed from it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.