Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken Thru Bolt

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken Thru Bolt

I took apart my pump motor and it looks like part of the thru bolt from the motor corroded and broke off in the impeller. Can this be fixed? I have not seen anywhere you can buy just the thru bolt. The motor seems to be working. However it was not moving any water, presumably due to the broken bolt. I wonder if I wasn't draining the pump properly for the off season.

It is a 5 year old Jacuzzi SLR 1.5HP.
    24' Above Ground Round Pool
    Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter and Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken Thru Bolt

If there is a motor shop nearby, they will most likely have a box of these bolts lying around under a workbench. You can also fabricate a replacement with a length of threaded rod and a nut.
    To remove the broken stub, you may need to drill it and use an extractor (http://homerepair.about.com/od/interior ... ractor.htm). Spraying some penetrant, like PB Blaster, Kroil, or Liquid Wrench will help. Clean the threads up with a tap afterwards.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

You almost make it sound too easy. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. What I was calling the thru bolt is the main driving mechanism or shaft of the motor. Part of it still seems to be seated in the impeller.
    24' Above Ground Round Pool
    Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter and Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

that is pretty unlikely, most shafts are one piece. If the shaft is actually broken, your pump is probobly so beat up you should just replace it. It is more likely that your impellor has a brass thread insert. Post a pic.
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA

5. Back To Top    #5

If the shaft is broken, the motor is pretty much toast. A photo would certainly go a long ways to clarifying what we're talking about, but if, as you say, the center shaft of the motor has sheared and part of it is stuck in the pump, then you definitely need a motor, and may need a pump as well, depending on how readily the shaft stub cam be removed from it.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]