Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking the pool

Ok so this might be a dumb question, but am I supposed to shock the pool at a certain interval even though the pool water is fine? We have had our pool for 2 years now and are about to start the third season (90 degrees in Feb in Texas this year) and I was wondering if I should shock or not. We haven't had any problems with the water at all and the pool looks as sparkly as ever. When talking to my neighbors, they say they shock their pools every week so I was wondering if there is something I am missing.
    16.000 US Gal. w/Spa; freeform gunite; built 2015ish; Pentair Quad DE filter; 3 HP Pentair VS Pump; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns, 15 Gallon Stenner Tank, 45MHP2 3GPD Pump, Dolphin Triton Pool Cleaner. TF100 Test kit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking the pool

LOL no it is what THEY are missing-A good test kit! IF your water is balanced using TFP levels and your testing and you keep the levels there you are DONE! They, on the other hand, HAVE to shock to keep ahead of the algae. After a while they will get their CYA so high they will lose the "race" and get a full blown algae bloom!

Kim (sneak over they are grab a bottle of their water and share the results with us)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Lol. Thanks Kim! I talked one neighbor who just installed a pool into doing the same stenner tank/pump setup for bleach that we have. They saw how low maintenance our pool was and wanted to do the same thing. As for the others, I tried to talk about how I do it, but they seem to prefer to go to the pool store all summer. I even did a CYA check for one family on my street and it was way over 100. They still decided to go to Leslies to get what the needed to "fix" it.
    16.000 US Gal. w/Spa; freeform gunite; built 2015ish; Pentair Quad DE filter; 3 HP Pentair VS Pump; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns, 15 Gallon Stenner Tank, 45MHP2 3GPD Pump, Dolphin Triton Pool Cleaner. TF100 Test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I have to say that you are doing better than most. It's often hard to get even one person to see the light and you have done it!!
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    LOL no it is what THEY are missing-A good test kit! IF your water is balanced using TFP levels and your testing and you keep the levels there you are DONE! They, on the other hand, HAVE to shock to keep ahead of the algae. After a while they will get their CYA so high they will lose the "race" and get a full blown algae bloom!

Kim (sneak over they are grab a bottle of their water and share the results with us)
    Agree with this. I was told to shock weekly by the pool store and ended up with +200 Cya. Keep doing what you're doing and get Kim a water sample. Trust the kit.
    12,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I have to say that you are doing better than most. It's often hard to get even one person to see the light and you have done it!!
    And isn't it a great feeling when you have a convert? I lent my TF-100 to a friend/coworker and got my first convert. But in truth, most don't listen.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    And isn't it a great feeling when you have a convert? I lent my TF-100 to a friend/coworker and got my first convert. But in truth, most don't listen.
    I told my one converted neighbor to get the TF-100 kit. They just finished the pool and the builder gave them a kit without CYA tests..

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by holmern View Post
    I told my one converted neighbor to get the TF-100 kit. They just finished the pool and the builder gave them a kit without CYA tests..
    yeah, and the FC test probably tops out at 5 too. <sigh> A cheap-o test kit isn't that helpful from a pool builder yet the way they make it sound as if they're throwing in some amazing perk.... <eye roll>

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

9. Back To Top    #9

The old "shock once a week routine"... Yes, that's one of the most common myths we bust over and over. You'll be ever so pleased to find it simply isn't true. Welcome to the sparkly side of pool care.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    The old "shock once a week routine"... Yes, that's one of the most common myths we bust over and over. You'll be ever so pleased to find it simply isn't true. Welcome to the sparkly side of pool care.
    Thank you sir. I've been browsing here for a few years now. Started reading about it before we built our pool. Had ours for 2 years now with perfect pool water and I have been amazed to see how easy it is.

11. Back To Top    #11

Right on! I haven't "shocked" my pool since I filled it 5 years ago. Or drained it, had a green swamp, missed a swim day ever, etc. Thanks TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach