Chemical Test Results Want advice

Jul 16, 2007
The pool is beautiful. The water is perfectly clear. All the chlorine has been free for a long time now.
Chlorine .5 (I'll add some liquid tonight)
CYA 40
TA 60
PH 7.4

I'm never really sure when to start adjusting on TA and PH so I usually just post results here. You folks have never let me down. I have no complaints. Thanks to this site I am able to keep the water nice with very little effort or expense.

One rule of thumb is, if the pH isn't moving too fast, the TA is where it should be.
If pH is moving up quickly, TA is too high. If pH is moving down quickly (or maybe at all, it seems that pH dropping is unusual) TA is too low.
--paulr

Do not wait to add chlorine until tonight.

.5 is too low, and you are putting your pool at risk for algae. With your CYA level, you should never let your FC get below 3. If it is getting that low now- you aren't adding enough each evening. Refer to the CYA chart - you target 5 in the evening and that should leave you with enough in reserve so that by the next evening your level is at 3 - and so on. If you let the FC go below 3, algae can take hold and you will see a high increase in chlorine demand before you actually see green water....

So each night test, note the level and then add enough to reach a target of 5 or 6. Your minimum of 3 is the lowest you want to ever want to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.