About to convert to SWG but have a few questions first.....

torchroadster

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
East Texas
I believe I am ready to convert to a SWG. I've been down the bleach path (works great but got tired of buying and hauling massive quantities of bleach), and the tablet path (as expected CYA buildup and drain/refill) so now I think I'm ready for a SWG (probably Hayward AQR-15). But first some questions:

1. We have two dogs and a cat that think the pool is their giant water bowl. Yes they have alternatives, yet they prefer the pool. Is this a concern if they don't change drinking habits on their own? And no I can't fence them away from it.

2. We have stone coping, including a waterfall that flows over the same type of stone. I'm not sure what type, maybe flagstone. I'm not too worried about the coping since the pool doesn't get heavy use, but the waterfall has constant flow when the pump is running. Should I seal it? If so with what and how often?

3. Do I need to test for metals before converting? I have no evidence of metal staining. If so, are these strips adequate?
http://www.lamotte.com/en/pool-spa/insta-test/2994-01.html

Thanks in advance!!!

torch,

Well, a SWCG will cause your pH to increase some and if your waterfall runs all the time the pump is on, the aeration will also increase your pH level. Since the SWCG only produces chlorine when the pump is running, you may have to run your pump longer than you are used to. Can you shut the waterfall off with a valve, when not in use? How often do you currently have to use MA to lower your pH?

I doubt the salt level will be high enough to hurt your animals, and suspect that if it was bad for them they would not drink it. (I say that knowing next to nothing about animals...)

There are mixed feelings about saltwater and stone.. I believe that water in general is abrasive to stone, saltwater or not... So if your current waterfall is not affected by the water running over it, then I believe that it will not be affected by saltwater either. But, I can't prove it one way or the other.

For me a saltwater pool is the only way to go... I love mine would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.