Pool installed today

Jun 2, 2009
Grader came out yesterday, It took him about 2.5 hrs to grade. He was using a laser to level it. Impressed me.

Installer came out today . Four of them worked about 6 hrs installing the 33 ft above ground.
He spent about an hour or so using a laser to adjust the level at every upright.
He was pretty picky about it.

Two hoses running , I figure it will take a few days to fill. Question is it ok to let the kids swim while I start testing the water and adding chemicals ?
I am planning on using the BBB method. The sand filter held 250lbs of sand . He used pvc connecting everything together. This pool looks really nice and it looks like above ground pools have come along way from when I was a kid.

And I wouldn't add chems WHILE they are in the pool :wink:

You can test your tap water to see what you may need, like if you have high PH/TA you'll need muratic acid, if you have low PH/TA you'll need Borax/Baking soda, etc.

That way you're prepared for battle :goodjob:

Enjoy your new pool!

Thanks for the help, Water level is half way up the wall and my wife noticed a wet area at the bottom of the pool . About 12" x 12" . I called the installer and he told us to stop filling , he will check it tomorrow.

They were careful when installing the liner, is it possible it came from the factory with a pin hole in it ?? Is this fairly common when installing an above ground ? Whats the solution ? Do not really want a patch on a new pool.

The installer came out today and found 2 holes in the liner . One about 3/8 - 1/2 the other smaller. I am at work my wife called and told me.

She said he patched them, I talked to him and told him I did not want a new pool with patches on it. He said he understood but his brother is the owner of the company and said he would let him know.

My wife has known both these guys for about 15 years. I am trying to be nice about this but it may turn ugly.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it were my new pool that I paid to have installed, I WOULD NOT ACCEPT a defective brand new liner :rant:

If it came damaged from the manufacturer, the manufacturer would have to pay not only for the new liner but also, the cost of installing it and the water and chems to fill it!

If the installer caused the holes, he would be responsible for all that!

However, I would be willing to enjoy the patched pool for up to a season, as long as I knew the liner would be replaced 1) before the pool was closed for the winter and 2) would be replaced as soon as either of the patches failed.

We had a leak in our liner with our new installation this year and so did my sister one week later, same pool from the same store, different installer. Both were resolved very quickly with a brand new liner. There was some investigation at first to find out if the liner was ripped on a seam (manufactureres responsibility) or somewhere else (installer Responsible). Our installer decided it was not worth the man power to find a pinhole leak and just replaced it himself. My sister's installer took the bull by the horns and put a slit in the seam himself and got it relaced by the store. Either way I would demand a new liner. No Patches!!! there has to be some kind of warranty.

Also, we were advised not to swim for 2 weeks in order for the sand base to pack firm or else you could get foot prints in the bottom.

Talked to the owner today about the liner. He said he would talk to the installer about the holes /patches and then decide what they were going to do.

I told him I had already started pumping the water out of the pool. He said " I guess you already made the decision " I said yes , " my wife and I do not want a new pool and liner with two patches in it ".

He didnt seem happy, but said he would order another one and it should be in Thursday/ Friday.
He stated he would have to eat the labor to reinstall and possibly the price of the liner if it was not torn at a seam.

Is this a common problem with liners ? I hope the next one is good.

I think it happens but I wouldn't say its all that common. You are right not to accept a liner with patches in it, especially if you paid someone to install and everything was brand new. You paid them to install a brand new pool, with a brand new liner and it must be in brand new condition and fit for the purpose for which you purchased it. You did not purchase used or "as is" and should not accept anything less - nor should you have to pay him extra to make it right.

I think some of them rely on the consumers who "don't want to cause problems" so will just let it go. Not for that kind of $$ - not for a minute.

They put in a new liner today. Owner told me they send old liner back to manufacturer too see if they can get credit for it.

Installer just cut the ripped area out to send to the manufacturer and let me keep a large section for patch material in the future. Hopefully this liner will not have any holes in it .

Wish me luck.

Should be full of water by Friday, I have read alot and am going to try the BBB method.
What should I do first ? I have the TF-100 test kit. Test the water but not for CYA as not to waste the reagent, since it will probably be zero anyway ??

Use trichlor tabs to introduce CYA or just put some in a sock in front of the return.? I know it wont show up on a test for about a week or more.

Help me get started , Thanks.

Yes, test the fill water now, to see if anything needs attention right away.

Trichlor will take too long to get CYA up anywhere useful. Get the (basically) pure CYA and do the sock thing. You will also certainly need to put chlorine in.
--paulr

Water going in no leaks so far .

Readings: FC 0 Add 1.5 JUGS OF 182 OZ ( JUG )
PH 8.2 OR HIGHER Lower with 1 qt. muratic acid at 31.45 % to obtain 7.5
TA 40 Add 15lbs baking soda to raise to 80.
CYA 0 Add 8lbs CYA in sock in front of return.

Someone want to recheck me and make sure I am using the pool calculator correctly?
Advise me as what to add first ? I know the CYA will dissolve slowly and not get a reading for 7-10 days.

Thank you for all your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.