New Build in Richmond, TX

After a few life setbacks we ended up putting the project on hold.. but we're back on and are moving quickly! We ended up going with PB1, but extended the pool a few longer and made a few small tweaks. The area has been excavated, gunite and piping has been added, and most equipment installed. I'll add picks as soon as I can figure out how to add them!

Pool Specs: (move pool 4’ back & add 4’ length)
Perimeter 112 LFPool Area 626 SF
Depth 3’6” to 4’0” to 6’0”
Dimensions 38’0” L x 21’6” W

Spa Specs:
Perimeter 28 KFSpa Area 48 SF
Length/Width 6’ x 8’
Height Flush
Spillway Zero Edge Spillway
Contoured Multi-Level Benches
Hydro Therapy Jets (6)

Excavation:
Preferred Equipment – Bobcat Floor Compacted to Insure Stability
All Dirt Hauled Off

Steel/Plumbing/Gunite
4 Bar Bond Beam #4 Rebar, Grade 60
Walls/Floors #3 Rebar, Grade 60 8” o.c.
Alternates in Floor
Stainless Steel Ties to Prevent Rusting
Hydraulic System all Schedule 40 PVC
Automatic Fill Line w/ Overflow to Maintain Water Level
Pressure Test Hydraulic System
Pneumatically Applied Gunite
Bond Beam 12” w x 18” depth (top portion of shell)
Walls/Floors – 6” to 8” thickness
5000 to 6000 psi (NSPI standard is 3500 psi)
Lifetime Warranty Against Pool Shell Leaking
2.5” trunk line for pool return

Pool Equipment Installation: All Pentair Pool Equip Includes 3yr Parts and Labor Warranty
Pentair Intelliflo Pump (Variable Speed Pump)Pentair 1 HP SuperFlo Pump (Water Feature Pump)
Pentair Clean and Clear 520 Cartridge Filter
Pentair Master Temp 400, BTU Heater NG (Gas Line Included)
Silencer Air Blower
Pentair Easy Touch 4 Function w/ Wireless Remote
Pentair Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator
Pentair Rebel Pool Cleaner
Pentair Intellibrite LED Color Pool Light
Pentair Intellibrite LED Color Spa Light

Electrical:
Wiring Installed to Meet all CodesAll Lighting Circuits are GFCI Protected

Tile/Coping/Water Feature/Decking:
Waterline Tile ($5 Per Sf Allowance)Travertine Coping ($10 Per SF Material Allowance)
Raised Beam Per Plan Center Wall 18” Raised | Left/Right Walls 12” Raised
4 Pedestal Columns; 24”x24” bricks with texture
Water Feature - 3 Travertine Scuppers Tanning Ledge - 6” Water Dept w/ Center Bubbler
Decking - 663 SF Spray Deck
Drainage - 175 Drain Line to Street 4” SDR 35 with tie-ins to downspouts/gutters

Pool Finish:
Interior - Pebble Sheen/Level 10yr Product Warranty

Day 2: gunite done in 6-7 hours and definitely don't want to forget my favorite pic - my son sat out there watching the bobcat for hours... poor kid cried when we tried taking him to the Mother's Day out program... you can guess who won that battle! Kid 1, parents 0
IMG_1365.jpgIMG_5620.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2" piping except for 2.5" trunk line for pool return for added efficiency. Pentair equipment for automation features IMG_1358.jpg

And now we need to make a few decisions on coping, tile around pool waterline, and glass tile on the zero edge spa. My PB has an employee who only does tile work and rarely has issues with glass tile. We're going with travertine for coping and the tile decisions are still are open. Pic 1 is a few of the tiles that we brought home as samples. The rest are a few of our favoritesIMG_1367.jpgIMG_1371.jpgIMG_1369.jpgIMG_1368.jpgIMG_1370.jpg

I say throw a dart as you can't lose with any of your favs! That is going to be SO pretty!

Is the bigger stone decking/coping stone? If so I would take it outside and let it sit in the sun then walk on it barefoot to see how hot it gets.

Think about the different colors of grout. They should have color sticks to play with to find what you like-blend in (darker) or stand out (white/lighter).

Kim:kim:

I agree completely with the dart approach but I’m dealing with my wife who is being indecisive about this decision :)! The bigger stone is 5 or 6” tile that will go around the pool water line (not the coping). Good to know about the grout I hadn’t thought about that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok need someone to tell me if I’m being unreasonable... the electrician came out earlier today to install all of the electrical components and he also quoted my wife $300 to install an outdoor plug behind the pool. We agreed and an hour later I get a bunch of texts from my PB basically stating that this guy went around him and the charge would be $795 for the plug. I said not happening at that price and he should honor the price I was quoted. He basically said this guy was going around his Company and giving us a price that is lower than cost. I told him not my problem and they should honor that deal! We haven’t resolved this issue and the best part of the story is when I got home I went outside to check their progress. To my surprise they installed the plug! But it’s in the wrong spot in my yard.... My stance has now changed to I’m not paying anything. Am I being unreasonable here?.

How did the PB find out about the end run from the electrician?

Many people do side deals with the subs. Extra walkways, seating walls, extra plugs, etc. If the extra work is not in the contract and paid for outside the "bill" from the PB then.........

The question you have to ask your self is if it is worth making your PB mad. BUT the work is already done.........

THEN it is in the wrong place so needs to be redone. I think it is time for a sit down with the PB and electrician and yourself to clear up this matter. Make sure to offer up a solution that you can live with. Say it with a smile and get it in writing.

The PB sent the contractor to our front door to find out if we wanted the plug and quoted her a price of $300. It wasn’t a side deal, our intention was to pay the PB and I even asked the contractor to notify the PB which is how he found out. A few hours later my PB is sending me texts saying he wouldn’t allow this type of activity to happen under his business and it “wasn’t right” and the price would be $795. I was really confused but I figured out that he thought we had worked out a side deal. My wife asked a very logical question when the electrician asked if we wanted the extra plug , “how much”. I was irate and wasn’t going to put up with the accusations. I basically told him he sent the contractor to our house to ask the question and we needed a number to make a decision. We went a few rounds but he ultimately apologized and we’re moving forward.

WOW! A months worth of progress in a flash! SWEET!

Go out and put one of those hoses in the spa BUT do not let it over flow. You do not want a line in your plaster in the spa from the water sitting in the same spot. Once the spa is full then put the hose back in the pool. Once water is started it should not be stopped until it reaches the waterline tiles.

Just in case you don't know it is common for the water to have a slight green tint in the beginning. As the plaster cures and the water gets balanced the true color will start showing.

Here is a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a lot of info. so take it slow. It will all start to sink in when you start to use it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Let us know what test kit the PB is providing you.

Things moved a bit slow for a few weeks there but in the last 2 weeks PB has made significant progress! We’re filling the pool with water!

Ended up going with Noble NGPD 636 Verona Blue around the pool waterline tile. For the top of the zero edge spa we went with a company called Lunada Baytile (Tonen series, 1x1 size, Tanzanite (color), and Natural Finish).

The pool is Blue Granite Pebble Sheen. It looks a little green but I’m told that will change as the water starts to balance. Now to start reading up on Pool chemistry!

image.jpg Got it and thanks for the info. Just moved one of the hoses to the spa. I thought I read the Pool would have a green tint in the initial stages. I really don’t care for the green so that’s good to know! I just send my PB a text asking about the test kit. Will let you know.

Your pool builder will most likely leave you with a really cheap, inadequate test kit. You want one of the test kits we endorse- either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C. Both use the same Taylor reagents but the TF-100 (which is less expensive) also gives you more of the reagents you need to use the most often. So it is a better buy.

Both can be found at TFTestkits.net

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.