Interested in installing SWG

May 21, 2009
I am interested in installing a salt water generator and getting away from using 3 inch hockey pucks in my chlorinator. my question is would the hookup on any of the chlorine generators out there be an easy swapout of my Hayward inline auto chlorinator because i really don't have much space to work with and one of the unions i can't cut off because it goes directly into the jandy valve and there is no room to cut? Next question i was looking at the Hayward SWG does the flow valve have to be installed after the SWG or can it be installed vertically before it?

I am including a picture of my plumbing so please let me know if u have any ideas here is the link

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z179 ... 000200.jpg

The flow switch just needs to be on the same pipe run, so any water that goes through it also goes through the SWG. It can be before or after.

That is a tight location, but there are some units other there that will fit in that space. There are various only slightly more drastic things you can do to get more room.

Can you name me a unit that will fit in the same space as the cl200. Is there a unit that uses the same unions as the CL200? I am trying to avoid doing anything drastic i wanna make it a simple transition if possible?

question i purchased the swimpure plus is there any problem if i pipe it in vertical?

my other question is when i do the wiring does it really have to be wired into the same power as the pump since there is a flow switch inline? I am really hoping not to have too because there is no more holes in the box for the 220 receptacle and box is tight and timer is too far away. I have a regular 120 receptacle which would be much easier to tap into

Flow switches are not totally reliable, so it is better to have an additional guarantee that the SWG won't run when the pump is off. There is a risk of equipment damage and possibly even an explosion if the SWG runs when the pump is off. I would rather not trust that to a flow switch, though some people do.

Ok guys i purchased and piped in a swimpure plus everything went good my pool i am figuring is about 15000 gallons so i added 400 pounds of salt yesterday as of yesterday the average salinity was hanging around 3100 instant salinity was around 2900 today i brought water to pool store to get tested they checked with two different meters one said 3200ppm and the other was 3500ppm so i don't know which is more accurate. Tonight i went outside had unit running at about 50% average salinity said 3200 but instant said 0 so then an hour later came back it still said 0 i turned unit off and back on in instant salinity mode then it started reading 1700 and now the check salt and inspect cell lights are flashing what does the problem sound like?

The first thing to do is to inspect the cell. Make sure the plates look clean and don't have any white crusty accumulation. They should either be a silvery metallic or black.

Based on the amount of salt you added, your salt level should be around 3,200 to 3,500. There is probably either something on the cell plates, or a loose cable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I connected it to 220 to the same power as the pump. So far after that little issue i had last night everything is working fine it says i am at 3500 or so. My question is my chlorine is kind of low because i havn't added any hockey pucks to my chlorinator because i knew i was going to hook this up so my chlorine is like at 1 and i had unit running at 50% since 3:00 yesterday pump ran all night and i just tested water and it really hasn't budged. How fast can i expect the chlorine to rise and how do i figure out what % to leave it at to maintain a chlorine level? My pool is about 15,000 gallons. I have plenty of power powder pro should i put some in the pool to boost up the chlorine?

As of today
CL 1.0
PH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 40
CH 290
TDS 3000
Salt 3200

Ok guys had my water tested again today and i am getting worried i had swimpure plus running since tuesday at 66% as i said above when i started out my free chlorine was at number 1 and today it is still at number 1. I would think that by now i should be at least at a 2 or 3 since my pool is only 15,000 gallons and unit is designed for up to 40,000 gallons. Salt is between 3200 and 3500. what should i do to get the chlorine up should i have to bring the percentage up? Should i put it in super chlorinate? Should i shock the pool manually with power powder? How fast should i expect the chlorine to rise? Is it possble that it is just maintaining the chlorine level at 66%? How much does weather affect it weather here in NY has been somewhat lousy cloudy and rainy all week.

Here are my numbers

FAC 1.0
TAC 1.0
PH 7.7
TA 100
CYA 40
CH 220
PHosphates .4

My questions are should i boost up CYA because pool store says not to go past 50 and says its fine but in the paperwork with the SWG it says to boost up to 80 what should i do? could this be why my chlorine is low? Next question what should i do about my phosphates they say that it is too high they say it is from the rain and stuff is it high because my has been low. They sold me some stuff to put in the water which wasn't cheap phosfree to get rid of phosphates do i really need that? I do have some red algae starting to form in some corners which i brushed away

Thanks all advice is greatly appreciated

Ok i will do all of the above but will i always have to shock the pool to bring up the chlorine or is there a reason why as of now my chlorine wont increase is it the rain or the cya or is it easier for the swg to maintain a chlorine level? AM just trying to get a little educated here

ok guys i did some more reading and decided last night i put the swimpure in super chlorinate mode because i wanted to see if it was producing chlorine last night my free chlorine was at 1 and today i took a sample to pool store and now my chlorine is at 5 i think that is pretty good for about 12 hours of run time. I guess at 60% it was just maintaining the chlorine level i had in the pool. I am just a little confused where should i leave the dial now to maintain the level somewhat.

Here are my numbers

FAC 5
PH 7.6
TA 120
CH 220
CYA 40
SAlt 3300

I added about half a gallon of liquid conditioner to bring up my cya i just want to see where half a gallon gets me. IS my TA that bad. a week or 2 ago my TA was very low so i had to bring it up but now is it too high?

Getting CYA to between 70 and 80 is important. That will allow you to turn down the percentage significantly.

With your TA where it is, I expect that your PH will rise fairly rapidly. You can either keep an eye on the PH and lower it every time it gets high, or you can lower the TA level, which will greatly reduce the rate at which the PH rises.

It is possible that you have a low level algae outbreak. If you are just starting to get algae, the water can be clear and the SWG will just keep the algae in check but not kill it all. I would bring FC up to shock level with bleach just to make sure that any algae is dead.

Hey guys i am still here

still am having problems getting swg dialed in properly no matter what i do i can't get the swg in check either too much chlorine or too little for example the other day i i put swg into super chlorinate mode to see if it it is producing chlorine and originally it was at 0 the next morning it was at least 3 so i lowered the dial too 50% later that night i checked chlorine again and i was showing very little maybe .5 is this possible even though i had Swimpure set to 50%? SO i just put it back into super chlorinate mode again and as of right now my FC is back up to 5 i really dont believe i should have to keep the dial over 50% to keep chlorine in the pool something is going on somewhere. Water has been a little cloudy and i have had a little red and green algae in a few areas i believe only because my chlorine level has been getting too low since i got swg. As of now my fc level is 5 so what percentage should i put dial at i dont think this unit should be struggling to chlorinate my pool since it is designed for 40,000 gallons and my pool is only 15,000. Could phosphates be the cause do phosphates eat chlorine up because i brought my pool water to pool store for them to test and they say my phosphates are high and want me to buy some stuff phosfree? Last week i purchased a gallon of liquid conditioner to boost up cya before i started i was at 40 then a few days later had water tested and i was at 60 but today according to the pool store i am back down to 40 again inless they were wrong. I havn't added any tap water to pool since. I only hear good things about swgs but i am getting a little frusturated i just hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel

As of today

FC 5
TAC 5
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 240
CYA 40
Phosphates 500
Salt 3600

As we said last time, you need to get your CYA level up to between 70 and 80 and shock the pool to get rid of all of the algae. If you don't do both of those things it isn't going to get better.

It would also appear that the pool store water testing is not reliable, which is actually very common. You need reliable water test results to maintain good water quality. I strongly suggest that you get your own top quality test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.