Interested in installing SWG

OK guys my mind is being boggled here i have been trying to boost up my cya when i installed swg my cya was 40 according to the pool store so i purchased natural chemistry brand liquid conditioner and dumped it into pool and then a few days later had water tested and according to them it was now 60 so a few days ago i purchased another natural chemistry liquid conditioner and dumped it around pool but after the fact i was worried that now cya might be too high so today i had water tested again and i went to two pool stores one said my cya was 20 and the other said it was 30 i was in disbelief how is this possible? I do understand that the poolstore test are sometimes inaccurate thats why today i ordered tf100 could the cya have dropped that much or am i crazy? i did backwash the pool but i backwashed right before i added the second gallon of natural chemistry conditioner. my pool is about 15,000 give or take a few thousand gallons thats why i am alittle worried because according to the bottle it says one gallon will raise cya 40 points per 10,000 gallons and over 2 weeks i added two bottles which the guy at the pool store told me to do. do you guys recommond natural chemistry conditioner? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Wait until you get your own test kit, do not trust the pool stores testing or their readings.

We don't advise liquid stabilizer anyway, no reason to pay for the added expense. Granular works fine.

So when your kit arrives, test your level yourself.

OK i received test kit and tested my own CYA and am a little worried here i tested it and it seems the dot becomes very hard to see and disappears between 110 and 100. if i did the test right i overshot my target of 70 to 80 Should i be concerned. Over the last two days i had my water tested in like 4 pool stores and i got all different readings such as 40, 60, 70, 100 so i don't know what too trust. But i do believe that it could be 100 because since i installed swg i dumped in 2 gallons of liquid conditioner because according to the pool store i was going the number wasn't rising. If i want to lower it how much water do i have to really take out my pool is about 15,000 gallons? I really don't want too have to maintain a higher chlorine level because so far for the last two days i have had my swg running at 60% and my chlorine level is like a 2 so it is struggling as it is and i don't know why since my CYA is now soo high shouldn't chlorine be higher? WHat do most people have to set their % at on their swg it. I was figuring that since i bought the swimpure plus with the t15 cell which is designed for 40,000 gallons and my pool is only 15,000 gallons i thought i would be able to have it set at a lower %. It is not extremely hot where i am i'm in NY not Florida Shouldn't a swg be able to maintain a higher fc level?

Make sure the dot is completely disappearing. There is a moment when the dot gets really vague, but you aren't there just yet. The dot should not be distinguishable from the white background at all. There is a picture near the bottom of this page that shows what it should look like.

By the time i reach 105 or 100 the dot really is not distinguishable i really do think it looks like my cya is at 100 according to my testing but when i go to the pool stores i get a wide variety of results from 35 to one guy who said it was 150. The CYA test reagent goes fast so i already did two tests and dont want to waste it. Both times it appeared to be in the neighborhood of 100 for me. Any Advice?

do i have to take water all at one time or can i take water in small intervals such as drop it below skimmers or returns a few times? over a few days? How much salt should i expect to lose by doing this?

As for my fc level since my CYA is so high shouldn't my pool be maintaining a higher fc level? I have been running at like 65 percent and my fc level is like 2 i do have some green algae which keeps coming back in two places by my stairs and on the plastic inside skimmer housing i brush it and a few days later it comes back.

Do the benefits really outweigh the downsides of having a cya between 70 to 90 since i am not in california or florida where the sun is stronger i am in NY

What is the average percentage i should have to leave swimpure plus with t15 cell at to maintain a proper chlorine level for a pool of 15,000 gallons in NY once i get CYA in range?

rschrei518 said:
do i have to take water all at one time or can i take water in small intervals such as drop it below skimmers or returns a few times? over a few days? How much salt should i expect to lose by doing this?

As for my fc level since my CYA is so high shouldn't my pool be maintaining a higher fc level? I have been running at like 65 percent and my fc level is like 2 i do have some green algae which keeps coming back in two places by my stairs and on the plastic inside skimmer housing i brush it and a few days later it comes back.

If you have visible algae, you should shock the pool. Drain/refill to get it lower first.

I would drain down to your returns. Not sure what that would do to the levels... add the water back, recirculate and retest. Repeat if necessary.

Yes, you should be maintaining a higher level - refer to the CYA chart for the recommended levels. But that is normal levels, after you have killed the algae via shock. Use liquid chlorine for shocking, read How to Shock your Pool in Pool School.

OK tonight i will drain down to at least bottom of returns should i do it in waste or would there be any advantage to doing it in backwash even though i just backwashed maybe a week ago?

I am still concerned about my swg if my cya is so high shouldn't my fc level be climbing higher? I have been running at almost 70% for maybe 3 or 4 days and my fc level has been hanging around 2 is this normal?

The percentage setting required for a good FC level varies from pool to pool quite dramatically, so I can't say what is normal for your pool. Really, there are two possibilities. Either you need to turn up the percentage, or you have algae. The best way to tell the difference is to do an overnight FC loss test.

In any case, you should manually add a little extra chlorine just for right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.