STRONG CHLORINE SMELL AND BURNING EYES

May 8, 2009
I have a new pool x4 weeks and now have a strong chlorine smell and water that burns your eyes.

pH 7.4
TC 5
FC 5
CC 0
Alkalinity 80
Calcium 450
CYA 45

How do I get rid of the smell? Also, I have a lot of white buildup that i can remove with Muriatic acid (I can also remove the grout with this too-unfortunately).

Thanks for the help.
p.s. For chlorine I use liquid bleach, and triclor tablets.

The "chlorine" smell and eye irritation is caused by CC. My guess is that you are using a DPD chlorine test, that tops out at a reading of 5. That means that your actual levels could be higher and the CC level might not actually be zero, as your test appears to indicate. I suggest diluting the pool water one to one with some chlorine free water, like distilled water. Then do the test again and multiply the results by two. Better yet, get a FAS-DPD chlorine test, so you can directly measure the CC level.

Your CH level is rather high. If you don't live in an arid climate, you should replace some water to lower the CH level. In an arid climate, you need to expect high CH levels and practice ways to deal with it. I can explain that more if you are indeed in an arid climate.

I live in league city texas, by houston. i use the DPD chlorine test in the kit by Taylor. How much water should I dupm and replace to get CH lower?

I don't have any distilled water today, but can get some for tomorrow. In the meantime, should I shock the pool?
thanks

drdriller said:
I have a new pool x4 weeks
New plaster is going to have water balance issues. For a new build your CH is not really THAT high but you need to keep on top of the ph to make sure it does not rise above 7.6 and you need to keep brushing the pool several times a day if possible but at least once a day until your plaster settles down. This could take a few months.
pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

New plaster releases calcium AND causes the pH to rise. I would wait to drain but do keep on top of your water balance and keep brushing for the present! It WILL settle down soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.