Pondering the big swap to VS / dual speed

Feb 18, 2017
Rockledge, FL
Pool is an inground gunite with the following specs: 17,500 gallons, jetted SPA, solar heated (8 panels). Controlled by an Aqualogic system with a T-15 cell and cartridge filter.

We are very much considering either a 2-speed or variable pump in the coming months due to our electricity bills here in Florida... they are averaging about 400/month with the pool pump running about 8-9 hours a day.

The following components were just replaced (FYI) - the Aquarite MAIN PCB (with new firmware that supports variable speed), the T-15 cell, the flow switch and believe it or not - the pump motor.

Reading some of the stories about VS pumps and how sensitive the electronics are to lightning makes me a bit sketched out here in Florida... but perhaps a 2 speed pump is a better solution.

What's the general consensus here? Leave it alone and let it run until the next failure?

regards,

doug

I am using a VS pump, specifically the Pentair Inteliflo 3hp 011018 VS pump. I have an in floor cleaning system, solar heating, and the AquaRite SWG. Each of these has its own flow requirement, so each day my pump starts out at one speed to clean the pool, shifts to a second for the SWG, then to a very low speed just for extra filtration, any time solar heat is called for and available the solar controller ramps up the pump speed to a separate pre selected fourth speed.

That is the beauty of a VS pump, you can select the most efficient speed for each task. With a two speed if the low speed is just a little too low to reliably support the SWG or solar properly, then you have no choice but to run your pump at high speed. A simple pool which only needs filtration or maybe just a SWG may work well with a two-speed. A pool that requires many different speeds for different functions is the ideal application for a VS pump.

Even at the highest speed I ever have to use the new VS pump is consuming approximately 1/2 of the power that my old single speed 2hp used any time it was running.

I'd go VS as well for the tweaking, but after the current pump dies, provided the pump is doing the job and noise is not a bother. I don't know your power cost, but I'll hazard a guess your current pump is around $60 out of that $400 per month (assuming 2 HP). If you add your pool size and requirements, I'd have other opinions, haha :)

In some cases, people can move their pump run time to the time of day they want the pool skimmed, and reduce the running hours some. A year-round average of 8/9 hrs is on the upper end of what you hear at TFP.

I'm not completely sold on the value/savings of the VS pump. Comparing initial cost, energy savings, rate of return. Be careful, some of the web site energy saving base savings on 24 hour run time. It's makes sense where energy cost are high ( greater than $.30 a KWH). I think FL is around $.15 a KWH. You might be able to keep your current pump an swap in a new motor either a 2-speed or VS.

thanks for the replies - especially ChiefWej - i am curious how the programming works on the AquaLogic controller to operate the system how yours runs. I didn't factor in having to change the speed to support the solar system when it "dumps" or to ramp up flow when the SWG is "on" - as that sounds like some significant setup/programming that is well outside my knowledge of the AquaLogic controller. . . along with getting the pump to high speed when i select "SPA" on the remote. I don't see many posts online of the exact type of automation that is installed on our system, so i found a picture with what our controller looks like (inside a cabinet outdoors with a wireless remote inside - ours is a bit different color, but the buttons and display is the same) (see attached) The cost of the pump seems fairly reasonable ($899-ish or so on ebay for the Pentair you have) it's just that I would very likely need some local help setting it up.... and we all know how that goes when you buy the pump online to save 40-50% and then ask a local supplier to do the hook up.... :( (FYI, the pentair at my local pinch-a-penny is $1300)

2011-04-26_18-20-59_59.jpg

I have no automation system. There is just a fairly inexpensive Pentair SolarTouch controller on the solar and a simple Intermatic timer on the SWG. All the rest of the timing and programming is done on the pump itself. It has the ability to program speed changes on its own built in timer/controller. The SWG timer is just set to operate during a time that I know I have the pump scheduled to run the proper speed. The SunTouch is connected to the pump and can override the selected speed to ramp up to a pre programmed setting when the solar comes on.

So with no input and no automation system it just runs its daily program and speeds up when requested by the solar system. I'm fortunate enough that my spa and gas heater are on a separate loop with a separate pump. Since it's seldom in use, I just have a single speed pump there. A simple wireless switch on that pump allows me to remotely operate the spa although, if I want to raise or lower the temp or heat the whole pool with the gas heater, I have to go to the equipment pad to make those changes.

Since you have an automation system by Hayward, you should be looking at Hayward VS pumps. Your system will not work to control a Pentair pump. As far as the setup and programming, I can't help there, since I know little about automation systems. There are other people here who are experts on automation though.

What is the software version of the Aqualogic? Older versions do not support VS pumps. But all support a two speed.

thanks for reply ChiefWej - mas985 the board is showing software version 2.91 on the wireless controller inside the house... this board was just purchased a month or so ago (it's a "N" version board) and i distinctly remember seeing a variable speed setting in the configuration menus when i did the board installation. I'll take a look at hayward VS pumps tho.... that's a good tip.

The reason a VS is more susceptible to spikes than a single or dual speed is because of the electronics in the pump. However, you have electronics in your cell and automation as well. You should install a dedicated surge protector on the pool's electrical subpanel, to protect all the pool equipment. I installed the Square-D HEPD80 and am happy with it. I would have installed even if I didn't have a VS Pump.

If you budget can afford it, I highly recommend a VS pump. You can dial in the most efficient speeds for your specific cases - generating chlorine, water circulation, maximum cleaning/suction, ... I replaced my single speed with vs and was saving about 80/month. Will be interested to see this year as it will be first with it running the whole season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.