Resin vs Steel Pool Structure and Bonding

smankins

Bronze Supporter
Feb 10, 2017
Longview / Texas
I am about to take the plunge and purchase an above ground pool (Doughboy) and I have been reading a lot of posts in this forum (great forum!) and a lot about bonding the pool. I was initially looking at the Copper Canyon pool which has steel verticals and top rail but began to wonder about how hot the top rail might be in the summer. I see Doughboy has another pool with almost the same dimensions (1/2" smaller top rail) but with resin top rail and verticals. The price is not much different. The thing I was wondering was how to bond the resin pool since you would not just attach a bolt in the verticals in four locations around the pool. I would not want to drill a hole through the sidewall to do this either. Does anyone have an idea how this is done with resin pools? Thanks.

You only bond the metal parts of a AGP. So for a resin sidewall there is no bonding. Metal verticals and a metal top plate should be bonded as should the water and a copper # 8 wire run around the pool as specified in the Code.

Most manufacturers have a bonding lug attached to the wall.

That single bond lug is compliant on a AGP under NEC 680.26(B)(7). Because it's not a gunite pool with a rebar cage it doesn't have to comply with the four connections between pool shell and perimeter bond wire or grid requirement in NEC 680.26(B)(2). You can add more if you want.

If the metal wall has no lug use a self taping machine screw to attach your own lug. The lug must be copper and a screw connection. They sell them at HD. The self taping screw must have at least two threads gripping the shell. Install it very low on the pool wall and cap off the inside so it doesn't effect the liner.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does. I have contacted Doughboy through email so we'll see if I get a response about the bonding lug. If I did have to use a self tapping screw it could be installed low enough so that the inside cove would be covering the inside of the screw and I could cover it also. The installer the pool seller uses installs a vermiculite floor and cove. Thanks for your help.

Just to follow up. Doughboy replied to me but they did not mention anything about a bonding lug on the wall so that might not be there on this pool. Well, here is the response ...

"Our resin pools still have some metal components. When the code is enforced, generally the vertical end caps and/or joint piece are used for the bonding process. You will however, need to check with your local inspector regarding their specific requirements.

I have attached the parts list for a round Autumn Breeze pool to help with the visual"

The screw through the wall sounds better to me. I'm not sure about wall contact through the end caps and I don't want to try to attach to the joint piece.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.