pH lowering

Jun 10, 2007
ct
I have just a curiosity question. Yesterday my pH was at 8.0. I was a little worried that I had it too high. My TA was at 110. Today, my pH was about 7.6, and TA at 100. What makes the pH and TA lower that much from one day to the next? I know from what I've learned here that bleach will raise the pH, right? yesterday's TC was 5.5, today was 2.5, so could that make the difference? I was under the impression that if I got TA up to 110 that it would stay there for a while, keeping the pH from fluctuating.

Just when I think I know all this stuff like the back of my hand, I realize there's a ton more I haven't learned yet! :?

Shelly

Bleach has no long term effect on the PH, but it does have a short term effect. When you first add bleach the PH goes up. Then as the chlorine gets used up the PH goes back down. Normally, if you stay at a fairly uniform FC level, the PH stays more or less stable. But if the FC level goes down noticeably the PH will go down some as well.

Higher TA levels have two separate effects. First, TA buffers PH from outside changes. The higher the TA the less effect acids and bases have on the PH. Second, TA puts upwards pressure on the PH, causing it to drift up over time. If TA is too high the PH will drift up annoyingly quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.