Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Model WF-28 Loud Whining Noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Model WF-28 Loud Whining Noise

Hello all,
    My Pentair 2HP pump model WF-28 is making a loud whining noise. It is operating OK. The pump basket is empty. The filter pressure is good at 25 PSI. I don't know what is causing it. I do notice air bubbles returning to the pool. The pump is about 5.5 years old. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave2112
    Last edited by Dave2112; 02-17-2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason: forgot to include pump age.
    25K gallon inground pool, diamond brite plaster with spa overflow. Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Pentair Master Temp 400K gas heater, Pentair 2.0 HP Whisperflow Pump, 4' clear descent water fall, Pentair 1.5 HP whisperflow pump for water fall and bubblers. Pentair Water pool and spa automation control panel with remote. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Model WF-28 Loud Whining Noise

Hi Dave,

Normally loud whining/screeching noises if coming from the pump motor a a tell tale of broken/damaged ball bearings.

If you have the right tools and are not afraid of getting down and dirty this may be a good weekend project
    Check this article.
    How To Replace the Bearings in a Pool Pump Motor - Part I - INYOPools.com
    28,000 (ish) gallon in-ground pool, salt water, kidney(ish) shaped with beach entry, pebble-tec (or similar) - EasyTouch 4 - IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Paramount PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning, Pumps: Intelliflo VS (main), Century 1.5HP (cleaning), Whisperflo 1HP waterfall (dead), Pentair C&C cartridge filter, Pentair MASTERTEMP heater.
    - Taylor K-2006 test kit --- Lots of fun!!! ---

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I think I can replace them.
    25K gallon inground pool, diamond brite plaster with spa overflow. Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Pentair Master Temp 400K gas heater, Pentair 2.0 HP Whisperflow Pump, 4' clear descent water fall, Pentair 1.5 HP whisperflow pump for water fall and bubblers. Pentair Water pool and spa automation control panel with remote. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is it really a whining noise? Or does it sound more like a growling? Whining or screeching could be the cooling fan. Growling, the bearings.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good call on the fan PC.. I forgot about that one.

28,000 (ish) gallon in-ground pool, salt water, kidney(ish) shaped with beach entry, pebble-tec (or similar) - EasyTouch 4 - IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Paramount PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning, Pumps: Intelliflo VS (main), Century 1.5HP (cleaning), Whisperflo 1HP waterfall (dead), Pentair C&C cartridge filter, Pentair MASTERTEMP heater.
    - Taylor K-2006 test kit --- Lots of fun!!! ---

6. Back To Top    #6

It's more of a high pitch sound, not so much of a growling noise.

7. Back To Top    #7

What is the fan PC? I couldn't find anything in the parts section. Does the PVC pipe need to be cut to remove the motor section? It looks like the motor will separate from the pump section without cutting the pipes. Thanks for the help.

8. Back To Top    #8

The front bearing was bad. Changed out the bearings and front end seals and it runs great. Thanks for the help, and there are a ton of youtube videos that helped out.