Solar Cover Advice

Jun 17, 2014
Manasquan, NJ
We had a solar cover about 9 years ago at my previous home that lasted 3 seasons and was still in good shape when we sold the place. Fast forward 3 years ago at our new place and I purchased another one since we loved it so much at the previous place. At the end of the 2016 season, it was basically disintegrating and dry rotting. It tore apart in multiple place and the bubbles broke down and shed all over the pool.

I figured I got a bad cover and went looking for other vendors but what I found is most people saying these things fall apart after 2 or 3 seasons.

Did I just get lucky with my first cover? Has manufacturing skimped over the last decade since my first one? Is there a good manufacturer whose cover will not break down so quickly or should I buy the cheapest, thinnest cover I can find and plan on replacing it every two years?

............."or should I buy the cheapest, thinnest cover I can find and plan on replacing it every two years? "

That just about "covers" it so to speak! Welcome to the forum.

............."or should I buy the cheapest, thinnest cover I can find and plan on replacing it every two years? "

That just about "covers" it so to speak! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. It's a shame that's the case, it's a good half day of effort to replace the cover and cut it to fit. I'd be willing to pay a good deal more for an option that would last me 5 years without a headache.

Agreed, many people have expressed the same sentiment. I don't know why cover makers can't build in better UV protection in the material. We got our first cover last spring and it makes a big difference. Oir solar cover and heat pump allowed us to swim the entire month of October last year. We wouldn't have been able to without both, the solar couldn't keep up. Our pool is free form and takes a fair amount of effort to cut to fit a 20x40 cover also, really good, sharp scissors help. You can just walk along the side and slide the scissors along with you. I am actively managing my cover for least exposure to sun possible to see if I can get it to last longer. Our cover is only in the sun when it is on the pool. And it is only on the pool when I am trying to heat it. So, really our cover will only get exposure to the sun 3ish months. We'll see how that works.

Hey, 2 posts in 3 years! You're on a roll. :-D

Be sure you cover the cover when it's out of the pool. They usually come with a white UV blocking cover. I had a pool for 10yrs and the first cover we bought dry rotted. The next one I was a bit more careful about. I kept it covered or in the shed when not in use and it lasted longer. You can buy a deck box to keep it in as well.

We had an above ground (round) pool. I cut mine in half so it was easier to work with.

Yes, +1 to cutting it in half. After a couple of weeks with the whole cover was killing me I cut into two 20ish x 20ish halves and that made it much easier to handle. It works fine in two pieces. Hmmm, wonder if cutting it half again will be even easier ... Might have to try that.

This year I'm going to make one of these, DIY Solar Cover Roller

Another consideration for it rotting is where it's stored. If it's a shed , garage, or attic that gets really hot and no real ventilation, that bakes the cover. All these new plastics and polys don't do well once they lose their freshness and oxidize/Gas out.

We happen to have an off-site storage for some things that's temp controlled to avoid above 90 and below 35 degrees. Inot addition the the primary things for storage..I keep our quality camping tent/bags, car covers, and even the pool fence in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.