Florida Build: Project Complete...Officially Pool Owners!

Dec 10, 2016
PSL, Florida
I have been lurking for a few months now, and I've watched in anticipation and fascination as so many awesome pools were being constructed. I enjoy all the pictures, but because I am a Floridian, I am particularly drawn to the Florida builds. I hesitated to post any information about my build because most other pools seemed so fancy compared to my "no frills" swimming pool. Then I thought to myself...self, I am sure that there are many people that will appreciate your experience, so why not help someone in the same way how many of these builds have helped you, so here goes...

Our construction is already underway and our kids are super excited :) Even though we signed the contract back in November, between the holidays and some communication problems between the PB and screen enclosure company, our permit was not submitted until 1/9/17 and it was approved on 1/30/17. I have been impressed with my PB so far. I researched well and while they were a tad more expensive than others, I was impressed with their company and had a good vibe with the salesman. I loved the fact that they are a master guild pool builder, and they employ all their own trades. The only parts of the construction process that require subs are the gunite and the screen enclosure.

I have swam in many many pools but never owned one, much less maintained one...so I am fresh meat :) . I have been silently learning from the TFP experts and this is the progress so far...

Feb 3rd-Demo existing deck, and dig day!
Feb 6th - Rebar
Feb 7th - Inspection
Feb 8th - Gunite!
Feb 9th - Semi grading of dirt around the pool
Feb 13th- Tile and plumbing
Feb 14th- Grout Tile

View attachment 57055

View attachment 57056

View attachment 57057

View attachment 57058

Any and all feedback and advice is welcomed!

Re: Florida Build: Fresh Meat :)

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks great. From our position, the best things you can do right now is get ahead of the game by learning what to expect upon pool start-up. Of course you'll follow your builder's instructions for the warranty, but it's still good to read the TFP Pool School - Start-up New Plaster page. Also, ensure you have a TF-100 test kit as soon as water start going in so you can test that water accurately and as often as needed to maintain that plaster and keep the water crystal clear.

Great to have you with us.

I have the test kit on my to do list! I've been reading quite a bit on pool start up...but I am definitely more of hands on person than I am reader. So I am pretty sure once I get to that stage I may have some questions. Here are few more pics of the tile.

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Thanks! The pictures really don't do the tile any justice...we went with a bone white grout. I did not get a chance to take any pics yesterday because it was dark by the time i got home. I will take some pics today and post when I get home.

FLORIDA in the house!!! PSL=Port St Lucie?

The first set of pics went bye-bye :( I wanna see pretty please!

That tile!!! What color is it called???

You have come quite a way already. I am SO glad you are sharing your build with us! Your pool is great!

I know you have been reading. so you know what is next! Your own set of links for the new pool owner!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

I look forward to seeing the missing pics.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! My own set of pool owner links makes me feel like I am officially a part of TFP family:kim:

PSL is Port St. Lucie! and if memory serves me correctly the color of the tile is called aqua blend. Here are the missing pics...

IMG_0321_zpslyqqbiys.jpg

image1_zpswz0ez6rw.jpg

IMG_0399_zpsffcfzoj7.jpg

image4_zps4rdcyj0e.jpg

IMG_0417_zpswrpvxoa1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Looks like a great start, I'm sure everyone in your house is excited.

Everyone is beyond excited...big and little kids! I think a lot has been accomplished in 2 weeks, and they seem to be making progress daily. I'm not sure if this is standard, or if I just have an awesome PB.

I'm at work when all the work happens, but I can watch the progress on my security cameras. Looks like they did some grading and electrical today.

Grading for soon to be pool deck!
IMG_0436_zps53zcbtsj.jpg

IMG_0439_zpsr2weevb2.jpg

Grouted tile!

IMG_0438_zpslwfxwdm9.jpg

I have to say I agree with you............will a lounge chair fit on that and still be able to walk around it? I hear what he is saying but........do what you need to do for both of your to be happy! LOL

I have to say I agree with you............will a lounge chair fit on that and still be able to walk around it? I hear what he is saying but........do what you need to do for both of your to be happy! LOL

*Mini back story* He wasn't sold on the pool idea at first...it took about 3 years to convince him and he finally caved. He's excited about it now, but we definitely compromised on decking so that he could keep some of the yard.

With that being said, there's about 6ft between the screen enclosure and the pool length wise on either side. There is about 7 ft between the wall and the front of the pool, so we should be able to "squeeze" in a couple of lounge chairs...walking around them is debatable...lol.

Shhhhh :gone:this is Kim tip toeing away before she causes any trouble between Mrs.&Mr. :slidehalo:

:sun: this is Kim doing the happy dance :party: that Mrs. got a wonderful pool and Mr. gets to keep some of the yard AND is excited to be getting a pool!

Looking good! Tile is very pretty. Did they have issues with cave ins? It looks similar in the dig phase that ours does now with plywood forming it out and extended frames reaching past the forms for support.

Thanks ShantellyLace. Thankfully we had no cave ins. The PB has built a few pools in my subdivision so they were pretty familiar with the landscape, but...even with that you never know...Lucky for us, It's been a pretty smooth build from the start. It has also been unusually dry lately, so i am sure that also helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.