Shocking your pool

snewo

Jun 7, 2009
An hour NW of Philly
I understand the process outlined in pool school for shocking your pool. This question is a little different however.

Let's say you were having a party at your house. Let's also assume that a young child was playing on your sunshelf when it was discovered that they were packing a deuce in their swimmy diaper. What is the recommended procedure for tending to the pool? By this I mean, tended in such a way that would allow the pool to be swimmable again during the party....maybe after 30 minutes of a shock or something. I want to make sure I have the recommended materials on hand for such an event. Is this a case where a powdered chlorine shock would be recommended over a bunch of bottles of bleach?

Geesh.....I keep having all these question pop into my head.

Thanks in advance.

I would raise your FC level up by 3-4 ppm BEFORE the party...assuming the "incident" were solid and contained in the swim diaper. Having the FC higher before hand takes "incidents" into account, the pale yellow variety as well. Also make sure the pump is running while everyone is swimming. If it were loose and not contained, for everyone's safety I'd say clear the pool and up the FC substantially, maybe not to "shock" level but definitely near there and then say wait one hour....Keep in mind some will choose not to get back in, LOL....but it's okay for swimming at elevated FC levels, assuming one's shock level is 15, users report swimming at 10, 12 etc. with no ill effects.

snewo said:
So in a SWG pool, would you recommend running at boost the 24 hours before? Or would you run normally and jack up the chlorine with bleach prior?
Don't bother to run the "boost", it's just going to shorten the life of your SWG cell. Use good old fashioned bleach to bump the FC level but 3-4 ppm.

We have 'regularly scheduled' parties on Saturday and Sunday afternoons as well as Thursday night 8) .
Teens, and no and I haven't figured out the Thursday thing, but I don't worry about it. I just bump up the FC level and then I don't worry about things (as much).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.