Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking your pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking your pool

I understand the process outlined in pool school for shocking your pool. This question is a little different however.

Let's say you were having a party at your house. Let's also assume that a young child was playing on your sunshelf when it was discovered that they were packing a deuce in their swimmy diaper. What is the recommended procedure for tending to the pool? By this I mean, tended in such a way that would allow the pool to be swimmable again during the party....maybe after 30 minutes of a shock or something. I want to make sure I have the recommended materials on hand for such an event. Is this a case where a powdered chlorine shock would be recommended over a bunch of bottles of bleach?

Geesh.....I keep having all these question pop into my head.

Thanks in advance.
    27k Gal, IG Plaster Ansylbrite, Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter, Jandy Aquapure APURE1400 SWG, WhisperFlo WFE-28 pool pump, WhisperFlo WFE-26 Waterfall pump, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C Heater, Polaris 1-470-02 Air Blower, Jandy PDA 4.1a firmware

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking your pool

I would raise your FC level up by 3-4 ppm BEFORE the party...assuming the "incident" were solid and contained in the swim diaper. Having the FC higher before hand takes "incidents" into account, the pale yellow variety as well. Also make sure the pump is running while everyone is swimming. If it were loose and not contained, for everyone's safety I'd say clear the pool and up the FC substantially, maybe not to "shock" level but definitely near there and then say wait one hour....Keep in mind some will choose not to get back in, LOL....but it's okay for swimming at elevated FC levels, assuming one's shock level is 15, users report swimming at 10, 12 etc. with no ill effects.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

So in a SWG pool, would you recommend running at boost the 24 hours before? Or would you run normally and jack up the chlorine with bleach prior?
    27k Gal, IG Plaster Ansylbrite, Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter, Jandy Aquapure APURE1400 SWG, WhisperFlo WFE-28 pool pump, WhisperFlo WFE-26 Waterfall pump, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C Heater, Polaris 1-470-02 Air Blower, Jandy PDA 4.1a firmware

4. Back To Top    #4

Use bleach, it's faster and easier.
    Now to your original question, if you want to follow CDC guildlines for a fully formed fecal accident the pool would be closed for half an hour by bumping the FC up a few ppm. However, their guidelines do not take into account the effects of CYA on the activity of the chlorine and are, IMHO, suspect.
    http://www.cdc.gov/HealthySwimming/pdf/ ... _Staff.pdf

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by snewo
    So in a SWG pool, would you recommend running at boost the 24 hours before? Or would you run normally and jack up the chlorine with bleach prior?
    Don't bother to run the "boost", it's just going to shorten the life of your SWG cell. Use good old fashioned bleach to bump the FC level but 3-4 ppm.

We have 'regularly scheduled' parties on Saturday and Sunday afternoons as well as Thursday night 8) .
    Teens, and no and I haven't figured out the Thursday thing, but I don't worry about it. I just bump up the FC level and then I don't worry about things (as much).
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!