Leaking Pool Pump, what to replace?

Apr 14, 2015
Clearwater, FL
Hello I noticed over the weekend my pool pump has started leaking I think where the motor joins.
I have an Hayward super pump 2, 1HP.
From my research I think there are seals that can be replaced although most of the info I found said it should be leaking from the bottom and mine is leaking from the top, see video at link below.
I'm wondering if it would be worth it to replace the seals, the motor, or the whole thing?
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Thank you in advance
Sean

Is there anyway you might be able to recommend a new pump?
My pool is 13,000 gallons and I use a cartridge filter that is 75sq.
My currently pump is 1HP do you think that is sufficient?
I did the calculation and I don't think a variable speed motor is going to save me enough to make it worth it but I see Hayward has an energy efficient single speed, do you think that would be worth it?
Thanks!

Hello, no problem. Looks like an easy fix would be a new shaft seal. Can you provide a better picture of the pump overview, not so close. You may want to consider getting a 2-speed motor. Once the shaft seal starts leaking, water gets to the bearings, bearing start rusting/seizing, which produces more heat in the windings, then then the insulation breaks down on the windings causing the motor to short out. Then you'll need a new motor.

Nothing appears wrong with the wet end of the pump. I'd replace the motor and be done with it. If you're looking for some energy savings replace the single speed with a two-speed motor and run it in low most of the time. Do you have any water features?
Here's a link to the owners manual if you don't have it: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SuperII.pdf

Replacing the motor is pretty easy, google it, you'll find lots of videos, also don't forget the shaft seal. If you're really looking to save some money, you can get a refurbished motor, usually 1/2 the price of a new one. Check craigslist. Here in Florida there's no lack of motors.

By replacing the motor you won't have to redo any plumbing or such. The motor is a replaceable part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much for your help, I took a screenshot of my cart does that look about right.
Dropbox - Pool-Cart.png
There are 2 motors in the cart because I can't decide on what to get, my calculations show I could save about $80 a year with the efficient one but I'm a little worried about it lasting as long as the other one because of the extra electronics.
Any thoughts?

I would say it's 50/50 on the motor. They don't last very long, so it might not be worthwhile paying extra.

For the seal, I would go PS-3868 or PS-1902. The seal is the critical component. A regular seal is much more likely to fail, especially if the pump ever runs dry.

Note: I think that your leak is due to a leaking housing gasket. I don't think that it's due to a cracked housing. However, it's hard to tell so make sure that the housing is ok before ordering the motor.

Not sure it's worth changing out the impeller and motor, you're energy cost are pretty cheap, the saving is going from a single speed to a two speed. With a 2-speed on low you move 1/2 the water but at a 1/4 of the cost. I'd get a 2-speed 1hp, and keep your current impeller. The saving between a 3/4 and 1 hp isn't that great.

I was wondering if the 3/4 HP motor would save enough to make the impeller worth it.
I think to start I might just order the, Hayward SPX3000T Housing Gasket and the PS-3868 Seal Assembly. If the leak goes away then I'll order a new motor does that sound prudent?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.